What kind of wires are these??

BennyJWMarch 11, 2014

I opened up a 4-gang wallplate in our kitchen with blank inserts to see what's inside. The attached photo shows the wiring inside. There are about eight of these wires hand labelled A-G. Does anyone know what these are? My best guess is that that they are speaker cables. There are in-wall Polk Audio speakers in the kitchen. But these don't look like typical speaker cables that I've ever seen. The wallplate is right above the counter.

We bought the house about 2 years ago, but the house is ~80 years old so who knows when this was installed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petey_racer

No idea. That's something the previous owner cobbled together.
That is nothing standard right there.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 3:07PM
jreagan_gw

Perhaps some remote control for the audio? Do you know where the wires go to? Any other blanks around the house you haven't opened?

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 4:06PM
ionized_gw

Could have been for an intercom.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 4:12PM
niick84

If its In the kitchen it's prob an intercom. The main intercom box usually goes I the kitchen. The letters are prob letters to tell you which room it is.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 6:32PM
joefixit2

It could also be what remains of an old low voltage switching system like TouchPlate or Remcon for instance. These systems used low volt wires at each switch location for the lighting, and often there was a master switch box somewhere that would control many or all of the lighting from one location. The relays were located near the electrical panel. These systems were "state of the art" and normally used in high end homes.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 9:28PM
bus_driver

The master switch for low-voltage relay systems typically was in the bedroom. Convenient to darken the whole house at night or to turn on everything in case of suspected break-in. Having all the lights come on sure confuses an intruder.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
regina_phalange
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™