Got my Gorell new construction quote--thoughts?

yogi_bear_79August 6, 2010

We actually have 28 windows, three sliders, and two patio doors. Here are the basics of the pricing of the initial quote. We are awaiting a few changes almond versus white, screens for all opening windows and a second quote for their triple pane versions. I think I got an outstanding deal on these windows. Anybody think I can do better elsewhere? I've read repeatedly on here that Gorell is one of the best in vinyl. The one point of discontent is they won't build the four parallelograms that we need. SO I am shopping them out to Soft-Lite at the moment.

Double Hung, EcoGlass, White, Prairie Grids

48 x 60 - $317.35

42 x 60 - $302.50

36 x 36 - $247.50

48 x 48 - $344.30 (tempered)

Awning , EcoGlass, White, Prairie Grids

48 x 36 - $415.66

Fixed, EcoGlass, White, Prairie Grids

24 x 24 - $212.85 (tempered)

36 x 80 - $320.10 (tempered)

Trapezoids, EcoGlass, White

36 x 70 x 62.5 - $631.40

26 x 53 x 45 - $441.65

Patio Doors: EcoGlass, White, Prairie Grids

2 lite Slider - 72 x 80 - $858.00

Single Panel In swing  36 x80 $869.55

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

I would not buy double hung windows in those proportions. Gorell will warrant them but they will look terrible and out sync. The wider once will probably require 2 people to tilt in and clean due to the weight distribution. Are you replacing slider windows.

How much are they charging for installation?

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 9:26AM
yogi_bear_79

This is new construction. We are doing the installation ourselves. We considered sliders, but DW doesn't like them. These are all very accessible to clean from the outside. We are also waiting on a quote from Soft-Lite for some specialty shapes that Gorell won't make. I really doubt Soft-Lite is going to be able to come close to the price point of Gorell. However if they were, any thoughts on which is a superior product?

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 7:57AM
tube

I'll second what skydawggy is saying. Also vinyls that wide have a lot of movement in the check rail which leads to them having higher air infiltration rates. I had that problem as well as my parents after a few years with wide vinyl windows. I'd use narrower windows or switch to a stronger material.

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
Andersen Renewal vs Starmark Windows
i currently have a secondary home that we are re designing...
branlance
Whistling in windows with big gusts
Hello, I had new Okna 500s installed this past spring...
sgilliatt
Marvin: Can't find Air Infiltration Specs
I am choosing between Marvin clad and Woodwright double...
texas_al
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™