Exterior trim for windows...how wide?

magnusanskyAugust 16, 2011

Hi

Short time lurker, first time poster. =)

I've just bought a 34 year old house in the Pacific NW that currently has dark aluminum windows with a 1.5" exterior trim that just rests on top of the vertical cedar siding. I'm planning on replacing these windows with white Milgard Tuscany windows (nail fin replacement technique) so I get to choose what new trim width I would want to cover the cut-away siding.

At first, I thought 1.5" was too thin...and I was thinking of going with 2.5". But then one contractor mentioned that he had done a lot of 3.5" ones, but then I also got advice from a big box paint employee that 1.5" was the most common these days. I'm not convinced of any of these because I'm not sure how many windows the contractor has done recently (used to do new construction though...20 years ago), and the big box paint employee wasn't told what kind of house I had.

The problem with going greater than 1.5" is that the corners edges of the house, the exterior doors and the garage are all trimmed at 1.5", and I don't have any plans to replace them. Would it be odd to have 2.5" window trim, and 1.5" trim elsewhere?

And I guess what is most common width trim used these days for a house with vertical siding.

Thanks

PS. here's a picture that includes a couple windows on the second floor, the edge trim of the house and also the top of the first floor window.

Please excuse the grime. =)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Corner Boards are generally 3 1/2". If you have 1 1/2" Corner Boards I think it would look quite out of place to use a 3 1/2" Window Trim but that is just my opinion.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 4:07PM
magnusansky

Opinions are much appreciated. Thanks! =)

At this point, we're not planning on redoing any other trim (which means the corner boards, and door/garage trims will continue to be 1 1/2"), so yeah, I guess you're right...3 1/2" window trim would be odd.

Would the same be true for 2 1/2"?

Thanks

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 6:03PM
millworkman

Personally with 1 1/2" corner boards I would stay with 1 1/2" window trim whether it be flat trim or a 1 3/4" brickmold style casing.

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 9:28AM
magnusansky

As a followup, I chose the 1.5" (as I guess I could always replace it with wider in the future by just cutting away more siding). However, now that it is in, it looks a little odd. Not necessarily the width, but the depth. It was only 1" deep (they said 5/4"). But when it's in place, the window frame protrudes more than the trim. It's just a plain trim, so perhaps that's normal (since usually, I see either wider trim that I think is often flush or some sort of brick molding that I guess is meant to stick out more than the frame?)

Anyway, just wondering if this (trim recessed more than frame) is common.

Thanks

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
Simonton 5500 v. Soft-Lite Pro (replacement and new )
Hi, We are remodeling our house in Washington DC. We...
amy2905
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™