Are the edges of my dishes too sharp?

cindyweSeptember 6, 2012

My first mosaic table and I was going to incorporate some broken china.

I think the grout might cover some of the sharp edges but I'm not sure?

They are not really that sharp and I'm wondering if the grout will cover the rough edges well enough or if I need to take them off. Any advice please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

Most people don't smooth the edges. I do, and there are several ways to do it.

A quick way is to put all your pieces in a container and fill with water to the top of the pieces. Add a drop of dishwashing detergent. Gently shake and turn for about 20 minutes or so and take a piece out and check the edges. A clever way that someone wrote about is, she carries the container around in her car, back and forth to work, and by the weekend, the edges are smooth and she's ready to mosaic. I would set the container inside a cardboard box, just in case it leaked. I like to use those 48 oz. plastic containers that Texmati rice comes in because they have a wide opening.

Another way is to drag a kitchen sharpener across the edge, paying particular attention to any pointy areas. I buy kitchen sharpeners in the local hardware store. It's a carborundum stone with a wooden handle, and costs less than $10.00. It sounds like too much work, but it goes quickly.

Some people on here use an old ice cream freezer; they remove the paddle and tilt it at an angle in their kitchen sink (I think that's how it's done?). I haven't tried that myself.

Have fun and post pics, please.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 7:59PM
cindywe

Thank you all for the help! I was going to post a picture of my progress, but not sure if it can be done from my iPhone.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 6:51PM
concretenprimroses

I always smooth mine. I either shake them in a cool whip container, or I put them in the rock tumbler that the wonderful CalamityJ gave me. Just 10 minutes. Then if I cut anything smaller to fit while I'm putting the mosaic together, I use a whet stone that I bought at the mosaic store. I keep it sitting in a pot of water an rub the freshly cut edge,
Kathy

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
Clock
Finished recently
wackyweeder
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™