Stepping stone question

mad_about_mickeySeptember 28, 2009

I am fairly new to this and have a question.

If I have broken a plate and want to use the pieces to cover a premade concrete or brick stepping stone: do i need to use thinset or can I use GE II and then grout it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vee78910

Hi Mad, I just finished a bunch of stepping stones, the premade concrete ones. I used a good bed of thinset on the stone then smooshed in jewelry, broken china and other found things. They came out great, I think. This makes the stone really heavy though. Enjoy doing them and post pics when done. Cheers, Vee

Bookmark   September 28, 2009 at 5:16PM
katishooked

Hi Mad, all my stepping stones were made with GEII and then grouted. They are doing fine. Been outside for over a year.

Kat

Bookmark   September 28, 2009 at 6:07PM
texaswild

Hey, MAD: I prefer thinset for all outside projects. One of these days I'm gonna try the push and sqush method - saves grouting.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 10:18AM
texasfern

Can't wait to see them!

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 10:25AM
mad_about_mickey

Well, it started out as a plate with a picture of a sun with a face on it. i pictured it broken and re glued to a larger plate and then grouted and hung up under my lean to potting shed. I was looking all summer for a microwave carosel plate, at a yard sale or flea mkt and couldn't find one. So I bought a large clear plate and started by breaking the 'sun' plate. Now it appears that the clear plate is not quite as flat as it seemed. That is why i asked about the stepping stone. I even saved all the edge pieces to place around the edge and have one more of the 'sun' plates to break for egde pieces. All I need to do is break a red plate and a blue plate for the fill in....and decide what way to go... decisions ....decisions...Oh- I have done a few door stops out of bricks and tiles and then grouted them. They turned out pretty good. But they were only for indoor use.That was my first use of nippers. Makes hands hurt.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 9:53PM
texaswild

Tell me about hurting hands!!! I've been using the nippers on plates too for the two planters. Anxious to see some pictures, girlie.

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Backsplash glass and stone tile tile problem...Help
We just had this beautiful glass/stone mosaic tile...
gargeres
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
Sponsored Products
Foscarini | Tropico Vertical Suspension Lamp
YLighting
Modern Fan Company | Cirrus Ceiling Fan
$368.00 | YLighting
Gelato Clear Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$167.04 | Bellacor
Nelson | George Nelson Lotus Floor Lamp - Pear
YLiving.com
Foscarini | Tropico Vertical Suspension Lamp
YLiving.com
Afina Vanderbilt Large Triple Door Recessed Baroque Medicine Cabinet - 51W x 40H
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™