Andersen sidelights that open?

mominthedubcAugust 20, 2008

Hi, we have a dilemma. We are putting an Andersen swing in French Door in our FR. We have all Andersen windows throughout the house so we neeed to have that brand with a Terratone finish on the outside. I would like a French Door with sidelights for ventilation. All I can find on their website are fixed sidelights that DON'T open. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Maybe Andersen does have sidelights that open and I just don't see them???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
galefarm

It is hard to find an operating sidelight. I have had success in using a 17 casement by 71 inches and keeping it up off the floor a little bit matching the height of the door.

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 10:29PM
mcsbldr

Check with a clad wood window and door manufacturer named Eagle. We've used their ventilating French door sidelites and they're very well-built. If I remember correctly, Marvin had also submitted a proposal for the specified venting sidelight product. However, I'll bet you'll find a standard color match with Eagle due to their close relationship with Andersen.

The idea posted above was a common approach to achieving ventilation at a main entry before operable French door sidelights became popular. It looks a lot nicer with the venting French door sidelight, as the door stiles and rails align nicely. This is not possible with a standard casement, as the sash profiles are much narrower than a typical French door. However, you might verify that the stiles and rails align correctly between the Andersen and Eagle products, as it is unlikely that they will identically match.

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 11:34PM
mominthedubc

Thanks so much!

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 3:02PM
Syrac45_aol_com

I recently saw in the paper sidelights that are screened and hinged to open into the foyer. The reason for this is to avoid a storm door which covers that beauty of the center door.

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 9:56PM
dennisgli

I looked at my 2008 Andersen catalog and they have casement windows (CR16) that have glass openings of about 67x12 inches. Seems like that would be tall enough to roughly match the glass in a french door. You'd have to trim out the top and bottom to match the door. Just a thought.

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 9:11AM
More Discussions
Need help. Looking for window expert consultant in Minneapolis
We had our windows replaced (full replacement) and...
judyrk
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
Storm doors with hidden built-in screens?
I'm considering doing something "strange,"...
texasgal47
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
Sunrise, Marvin, and window shopping woes
Hello, I am looking for some advice. Briefly, we live...
Summer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™