Sealing mixed mediums: sand, fabric, paint, on wood

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, ALApril 9, 2013

In a nutshell, I've got 3 planter box for mini gardens that I want to finish so they will last a few years. They are made of treated wood, 1 1/2" thick. They have holes for water to drain, and will house succulent type plants that need very little water and soil that does not have much moisture in it, so will not be soggy but may be rained on occasionally, if very windy.

#1: Acrylic decoration painted on raw wood.

#2: Need suggestion for substance to cause sand to stick to outside of box.

#3: Need suggestion for substance to cause squares of fabric to stick to outside of box, to look like a quilt.

The concept I want to exploit is like when you go to a restaurant and the table has pictures or whatever objects decorating it, encased in - plastic?

I would like to seal/waterproof all 3 boxes after above-described decorations are complete. Polyurethane? Can I use multiple coats to make it feel smooth?

I'm completely stuck, have not done much with wood before.

Thanks for reading and any advice/opinions/suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Anything you apply for sealing is going to mute the surfaces of the "mixed mediums" buried under the sealer.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 2:51PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Hi, thanks for your reply! I thought polyurethane was clear. I want it to be smooth, like plastic. Not sure by "mute the surfaces" if you're referring to the colors of the decorations or the texture. If the latter, that's a good thing, in line with my goal to use this as a planter box.

I did find a blog where a lady did the same thing to an old wood table. Use elmer's glue to adhere fabric, 4 coats of poly. It was very pretty & she said it's easy to wipe clean.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 4:54PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Well I have completed 2 "quilted" boxes and the results are great! Muted perfectly describes the effect on the fabric colors, which happened uniformly, and looks fine. I used Elmer's glue to attach the fabric, let dry for a couple days. Then a foam brush to apply polyurethane to the point of saturation, to fabric and all other wood, inside/out.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™