polyurethane around window frames

lam702April 12, 2014

All the windows and wood trim in my house are stained and polyurethaned. Every couple of years, I see areas around the window where the poly finish is flaking and peeling. I usually sand, wipe it down then apply a fresh coat of poly. But then, a couple of years later it starts to flake again. I am thinking that I am not doing enough prep to make the poly adhere well. This time I thought I would clean with crud cutter, sand, then wipe down with something - but what? Denatured alcohol? Mineral spirits? I am not sure of the best way to do it so it adheres better. I don't think its a moisture problem, there is no mold or dampness. Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Quit using poly, it is a terrible choice for trim that gets any sun.

Use a oil based varnish(non poly) instead.

Simply sand all the old flaky stuff off and follow the varnish manufacturers directions. Probably means about three coats.

You can get foam brushes at a dollar type store that are about a quarter or less each or throwaway bristle brushes for a buck and a half.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 5:54PM
lam702

Wow, so I've been using the wrong stuff all this time! Any particular brand of varnish you recommend?

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 7:27AM
HandyMac

Just buy it at a real paint store---Sherwin Williams/etc.

Reason? You get the fresher stock . Many finishes have a shelf life and do not work as designed past that time.

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 10:27AM
More Discussions
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™