HELP! Confused on Stains, Finishes, Care
Well, I love DIY jobs and woodworking - although I would consider myself a novice. I got interested in woodworking in Iraq where I built my own stuff (walls for my room, a footlocker etc) but now that I have to spend my own money to make stuff I've realized how little I know and I need some help.
I was in my local hardware store the other day and my head started spinning when I went down the wood care/stain/finishing isle.
I'm looking for advice on what the following items are (the differences) and the pros/cons to using them on DIY projects like furniture, doors, etc.
1. Spar Varnish v. Spar Urethane
2. Danish Oil v. Tung Oil v. Teak Oil
- I know these are "varnishes" so why do the manufacturers of these products recommend using a top coat such as wax or polyurethane?
3. Lacquer - spray on only or are there paint/brush on versions? And can I use a lacquer to protect metal products from rust (indoor use on display type items)?
4. "Spray On, Fast Drying Polyurethane". I saw this product from Minwax but it did not say water or oil based. From the ingredients I would say oil based. Any thoughts on the quality of this over the polyurethanes you brush on?
5. Lastly I saw a product that was a "Crystal Clear" epoxy type product that was advertised as simply mix and pour onto table tops/counter tops. Supposedly it is used on bar tops and table tops to produce a clear, high-gloss finish that is stronger than "60 coats" of lacquer. Anyone used this product or has any opinions on it?
And after using any of these products (varnish, lacquer, polyurethane, danish oil etc) what do any of you recommend for care? Use a wax? Use a spray on type cleaner like Pledge? Use something like WATCO's Rejuvenating oil for wood then use wax or what?
Thanks for any and all feedback!