Where I used to live...

pharkusMarch 23, 2010

... when I first started posting on this forum... my entire apartment was, somehow, on one fuse, except for a single outlet. There were plenty of fuses in the box, and, at the time, they all seemed to have wires attached, but only two did anything.

The whole building was full of snafus. Original wiring was knob&tube, but someone had "remodeled" and tacked romex onto it to drop to the outlets, leaving ground detached. Then along came the Section-8 people and their "inspections", which consisted of plugging in one of those three-LED outlet testers to verify proper wiring. Well some landlord/handyman or another figured out he could trick the testers by tying the ground prong to neutral... Problem was, in my kitchen, the first guy, the romex-tied-to-the-k&t guy, got neutral/hot reversed, so the second guy actually tied the ground prong to hot. Imagine my surprise when I slid the microwave over one day to clean under it, and the side came in contact with the kitchen sink...

When I moved in, the local power company told me on the phone, "that apartment hasn't had power in over a year, so we can't hook it back up until we inspect it." I said "hell no. Once you inspect it, you'll NEVER hook it up again."

I ended up giving the phone to the landlord, who disappeared into his apartment (across the hall) for about 10 minutes. I have no idea what he said, but two days later I came home and my power was on.

Come to think of it, I never got a bill either, so the landlord may very well have turned it on himself.

Anyway...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

That might be record for the most violations in one picture!

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 7:50PM
paredown

Glad the operative phrase is "used to live" not "burned down...
:>)

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 8:03AM
pharkus

mike_kaiser, it's definitely up there. I said a prayer every time I walked downstairs to change a fuse, and always made sure I was standing on something insulated and touched the box with only one hand at a time... Myself and the landlord were the only people who dared touch it at all.

With the entire apartment on a single 15A fuse, that was more often than one would hope. Of course, when I moved in, the landlord had a 30A fuse in the hole...

paredown, no, the place never burned to the ground. It's still standing, although it is "condemned". I have no idea if it's been rewired or not. The real estate listing says it has circuit breakers, so I guess SOMETHING has been done, but the service entrance cable is still the same old one.

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Need to Understand GFCI Requirements.
I posted this in the remodeling section, but I think...
homechef59
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Sponsored Products
Crossing Diamond Rug 7'9" x 9'9" - SLATE
$829.00 | Horchow
Cathys Concepts Personalized Glass Decanter - 1193
$36.99 | Hayneedle
Hampton Bay Lamp Sets: 25-1/2 in. Buffet Table Lamps (2-Pack) HD11746PTABZC
$34.97 | Home Depot
60 Watt 12VDC LED Remote Electronic Transformer
Lightology
Harbour Outdoor | Garden Court Carver Dining Chair, Batyline
YLiving.com