anyone with experience in refinishing Boos butcher block?

springplanterApril 4, 2012

I've just become the owner of a 24" Boos butcher block with some use. It is in excellent shape but does need a bit of renewing. On the Boos website it just speaks to sanding and oiling. Does anyone have anything to add to this?

Many thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Scraping would be more practical, as sandpaper will clog up with the oil. But scraping is an acquired skill, and you need to purchase a cabinet scraper and learn how to sharpen it.
Casey

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 5:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rwiegand

I just did mine with a low angle smoothing plane (there's a fair amount of curly maple in mine, and I wanted to avoid tearout). It was fast (took less than 20 min for the whole process on a 42" square top), no dust, and came out great. If you have many cut marks, dings, and such you want to get out a cabinet scraper will take forever and your thumbs will get sore ;-) ). Refinished with a couple coats of 100% tung oil (not a tung oil varnish, or anything they sell at the hardware store as "tung oil" or "tung oil finish") this time, have used walnut oil in the past. You want a polymerizing oil.

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
africanboy
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™