Power Panel

twlkps76March 16, 2012

We will be remodeling soon and I will be doing most of the electrical myself. I will be rerunning many of the existing circuits since walls will be changing. I will also be adding a couple of circuits.

How do you know when it is time to add a sub-panel rather than crowd the existing box?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"How do you know when it is time to add a sub-panel rather than crowd the existing box?"

Usually when there are no spare slots for new circuits in the old box.

If you have a 200 amp service in a moderate sized house it is unlikely you need more.

Circuits rarely operate at anything like there rated capacity, so additional breakers are more a convenience in not taking down the power over large areas of the house rather than anything else.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 4:40PM
Ron Natalie

The next question is what rooms are you remodeling?
A living room or bedroom usually isn't a big thing, but code changes have occurred to kitchens, bathrooms, etc...

Further, you'll need to find out if the remodeling is such that they want you to bring things up to the current code which may mean things like Tamper Resistant receptacles and AFCI's.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 6:12PM
twlkps76

I think I actually have a 400 Amp Service, two 200 Amp boxes. The house has a sauna, well, heat pump, two hot water heaters and a 240 welder outlet. Some of the breakers are about 1/2" and others are 1/4". So there is still some room.

It is the kitchen I'll be remodeling and I am paying close attention to "Code Check" in my planning along with manufacturers requirements. I will be removing two aluminum circuits, oven and cooktop. Most of the circuits I'll be able to relocate, like the two 20 amp circuits.

I was told by the permit people that I didn't have to update other areas, except the smoke alarms.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™