Over the Range outlet issue

Sally DeanMarch 22, 2014

We are remodeling our kitchen and are moving our oven from an island to a wall counter with a microwave over the range.

There is currently an old outlet that will end up right over the oven in the backsplash tile. We would like to remove this, but also need to tie into it for the microware outlet that needs to be added.

The question is this. Can I lower the old outlet down the wall so that it will be located behind the slide in oven and not in the backsplash? Is this against code? We could then run a line down from the new microwave cabinet outlet and tie into the lowered old outlet.

PS. The oven needs 220 which we are having professionally moved, but right now we want to get the new cabinets/microwave installed and need to put in the new outlet.

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

There's not required to be any receptacle over a range. You're free to move it down or cover it (you need to leave it "accessible" if there are connections in that box).

The question is are the adjacent countertops still served adequately with this receptacle moved/removed? No point on a wall behind a countertop can be further than 2 feet from a receptacle.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 2:07PM
Sally Dean

To the right of the range is a 12" cabinet/counter top. It would not have an outlet within 2 ft. Sounds like I might have to add another outlet over that small counter?

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 2:24PM
Sally Dean

To the right of the range is a 12" cabinet/counter top. It would not have an outlet within 2 ft. Sounds like I might have to add another outlet over that small counter?

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 3:19PM
jreagan_gw

That over-the-stove microwave/hood should be on its own circuit.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 6:02PM
Ron Natalie

If it is exactly 12" or wider it needs a receptacle.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
regina_phalange
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™