'Cottage' cabinet lines

cfmuehlingApril 2, 2011

Hi all!

Got another one for you.

I have received a bunch of cabinets that are the cottage style. Basically Shaker, but with vertical lines (like beadboard) in what would be the inset flat panel area.

I hate the lines.

I want to fill them in.

I see myself putting wood putty, drywall mud, or spackle on them and smoothing it out.

The thing is, I am fairly certain I can't do any of that. They're maple and very good quality doors. What could I use to fill in those lines that would be smoothable, that wouldn't crack or buckle with the contractions and expansions of wood.

The lines aren't thru and thru, they're scored. If that makes a difference.

Your advice is always appreciated! Thanks.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

There's no practical way to do this. Unless it's possible to replace the panels (unlikely), you should look into replacing the doors.

    Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 11:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Depending on how you plan to use them, you could probably replace the panels with glass. There are lots of varieties besides clear.

    Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 12:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I was afraid of that.
I could probably break out the panels, but getting something back in would be impossible.

Ah well. I'll have to think about making doors. I'll have to adjust the drawer glides, but I always did want inset, anyway!


    Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 1:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The way quandary's glass suggestion would work is that you'd use a router to cut out about 1/2" from around the inside of the back of the frame, lift out the panel, replace it with glass and nail in a retaining strip that covers the cut edge.

    Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 8:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

OK, so call me stupid, but I don't understand why you couldn't fill the gaps as you suggest. You keep the doors inside, the contraction and expansion is likely to be minimal. The filler is not going to fall out.

I would happily fill them in if I had those doors. I might want to paint or wallpaper overtop, but if you get wood-coloured filler you may not need to.

At least give it a try before you reject the idea and go off sawing, routering, and doing other extreme cabinetry.


    Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 9:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

These are drawer fronts, so putting glass in them isn't as easy. We're talking 10" by maybe 20" at the largest. There are a bunch of 4" drawer fronts.

If it were the uppers, it would be great.

The expansion and contraction in my home is remarkable. Thanks to my infamouse STBX, the hard wood floors in my bathroom cup in the summer. Some of the cabinets I do have contract to have 1/8" seams, but in the winter, the miters all meet just fine.

Come to think of it, those are maple, and none of the maple cabinets I have, have this trouble.

I might give it a try. I can't see it working well, but I don't have a lot to lose! Perhaps if I sand it so it's a bit porous, the filler might stay. Cracking was my concern. hmmmmm...


    Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 10:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I was just wandering through the home repair forum and came across this thread about an ugly ceiling (quite educational). It struck me that the idea of latex caulk may be perfect for your cabinet lines. But hey, if these really are just scores, not joints, I really would be optimistic about not having a shrinkage problem. What is STBX by the way?


Here is a link that might be useful: Informative thread on Home Repair

    Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 1:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'll check it out, KarinL. They're definately scores & not joints.

STBX is an early 90s acronym of Soon to be Ex.

Funny you're writing this to me. I was just staring at these drawers remembering this calk called Groov, that's acrylic, paintable, and can be used inside out. Reviews say it has the benefits of both latex & silicone. I have to check to see if it's sandable.

I'll go read...

    Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 8:25AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
newbie veneer terminology question
My house has hollow slab doors veneered with luaun...
Fori is not pleased
Anyone have experience with Charles Neil's Preconditioner?
I just ordered it and am wondering if anyone has used...
Need help matching wood stain color
The molding in our kitchen was not completed when we...
Right size tip-out tray for kitchen sink cabinet
My kitchen sink cabinet is 24" wide. I want to...
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
Sponsored Products
ELK Lighting Menlow Park 60044-3 Pendant - 10W in. - Oiled Bronze - 60044-3
$572.00 | Hayneedle
s: 26.5 in. Noir Mission Mica TT100015
Home Depot
DreamLine Shower Enclosures Unidoor Plus 34-1/2 in. to 35 in. x 72 in. Hinge
Home Depot
Set of 2 Blue LED Solar-Powered Marker Lights
$15.99 | Lamps Plus
Atlantis Titanium 14-Inch Two-Light Medium LED Outdoor Wall Light
$489.00 | Bellacor
Worthy Leather U-Chaise Sectional - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
Heirloom Treasures Solid Brass Flower Motif Pull
Signature Hardware
Serena & Lily Jamesport Stripe Shower Curtain
Serena & Lily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™