Wiring on Old Appliances

DDplusMarch 25, 2014

I have some old appliances (mixmaster, sewing machine, lamp) from the 60s and 70s. They all work, but how do I know if they're safe electrically?

They look to be in good shape, without any fraying or damage to the plugs or cords, but they all have the original wiring and none of them have three-prong or polarized plugs.

Does the age alone mean that these should all be rewired? Should I get an electrician to look at them to determine if they're safe, or is there some way to test them on my own? How long does wiring last before it needs to be replaced? These were really well made appliances and I would love to use them again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

If the wiring is in good condition (places to look are near the plug and where it enters (and inside) the appliance, then it's probably OK. Wiring isn't typically perishable and a visual inspection is telling.

The lack of a grounded plug also doesn't necessarily mean anything. Obviously any fraying or cracking of the cords or inadvertent shocks (other than static electricity) should be looked into. Most appliances should not have exposed metal connected to either side of the cord.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 12:40PM
DDplus

Thank you. What I can see of the cord is definitely sound, but I'll have to take a look at them to see if I can open them up and get a look at the inside.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 2:44PM
ionized_gw

Just be sure the Mixmaster is plugged into a GFI outlet in the kitchen and you are not standing or sitting in a puddle with the other two.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 7:55PM
DDplus

I guess that eliminates outdoor sewing when it's raining, darn.

We've got plenty of GFI outlets in the kitchen, and I will make sure I use one of them when using the mixer - thanks!

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 4:49AM
More Discussions
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™