Replacement window for self install suggestions?

seekingsunAugust 13, 2013

My father in law (who I trust has the experience) has offered to install new windows in our home to replace 1950s aluminum. We are also studding out the interior walls to add insulation. Any suggestions on the best and most economical (not buying something cheap but getting a good deal) way to directly purchase replacement windows? They will be mostly casement, with some sliders and some picture windows. We have been looking at vinyl products but could be pointed in a different direction also.

I had folks come out to do quotes on Simonton, SoftLite and Vanguard (before we decided to install ourselves). Still waiting to talk to them and see if they will let me order directly. A window installer that sells Alliance said he would hook me up with his distributor directly. But doesn't look like that is the best brand. We are in the central Midwest.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HomeSealed

The Softlite and Vanguard by Sunrise are both very good choices. I'd try to continue down that path :)

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 4:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmarse1

I agree with what was said. However, i would really opt for the window company to perform the install ensuring its done correctly and you will have back up in the event you experience issues.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
Privacy Glass?
I'm planning new windows for a master bath, and want...
numbersjunkie
Simonton 5500 v. Soft-Lite Pro (replacement and new )
Hi, We are remodeling our house in Washington DC. We...
amy2905
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Brand recommendation?
I would very much appreciate some recommendations on...
oakenacres
Quick advice re: matching door and window grills & transom size
I have french doors sitting between two sets of side...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™