Inviting Suggestion To Build Wooden Interior Window Shutters

ccollins62April 19, 2011

For my new home I am planning to build interior designs personally, I just need a website or something that has a visual step by step process on how to build shutters.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

It would really depend on what sort of shutters you want. The type with many thin slats mortised into a frame are not going to be a good project for a beginner. Something simple and rustic might be doable.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 6:21AM
brickeyee

Shutters with many small louvers only look simple until you try to make them.

You need cut after cut that are all exactly spaced and matched in depth.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 5:36PM
sombreuil_mongrel

I made a few templates over the years to duplicate different styles of shutters. (depending on the angle and size of the louvers) I made the templates from plexiglass on an old Atlas universal milling machine that my former boss owned. This allowed me to properly index the start/stop points and maintain the perfect angle. Then a router with a guide bushing was used to rout out the angled mortises. Since the spacing was too close to permit the one for one pattern, only every other slot was cut during a single placement of the template; it then was shifted one-half module and the other half of the mortises were done. Since these were large exterior shutters and the template was of finite length, it would have to be shifted numerous times to cut all the slots down one side of a stile.
Movable-louver shutters have their own set of problems, but you need only drill a 1/4" hole for the louver pins. Forming the pins is done by another specialized cutter, either a special router template or a very small tenoning cutter in a drill press. There are also nylon pins available that skip the pin-cutting step; you just drill holes in the stiles and the louvers, and insert the pins into the latter. Making the staple connections to the louvers and actuating rod remains the insuperable limit of home shutter building.
Casey

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Brand new dewalt planer, not feeding?
Hopefully it's just me doing something wrong. It's...
fireweed22
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™