Question about finish on Oak Teacher's Desk

fogbelt_steveApril 22, 2010

I purchased a nice old oak Teacher's Desk today that is in really good shape, except for some worn, bare wood areas on the top near the front edge where a person would sit and work. Because it's in such good shape, I don't want to completely refinish it, I only want to touch up the worn area so that it blends with the old finish.

Can anyone tell me what product to use that would best match the existing finish (and is it 'varnish')? I was thinking about just using a furniture oil. I have a photo (from the Craig's List ad  not the best quality) that I've linked below. Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

The finish is probably an oil based varnish. To properly refinish the top, you need to sand it smooth(not necessarily sanding off the old finish) and apply three coats of varnish according to the instructions on the can.

You may elect to do a 'repair', but as a rule, short cuts last a short time or create more problems later.

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 11:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fogbelt_steve

I sanded the top where there were some rings from cups and the bare wood and then used amber shellac for a new finish, then paste wax on top of that. I didn't remove all of the old finish but am happy with the way the shellac blended with the original finish. Someday I may completely refinish the desk but I just don't have the time right now - I can use it now the way it is. You can see the great shape it's in (see linked photo). Thanks for your suggestion.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™