Large silver tray - mosaic or not???

cathyscacheSeptember 21, 2009

I found this very large silverplated "Sheffield" tray @ a garge sale and was thinking of mosaicing it. I checked out Sheffield on line. Turns out they are the ones who discovered silverplating over copper but were later taken over by Barton and Reed so there is not much actually said about Sheffield. This has small spots on it where the copper is showing through. It mega in size, 26in long and 20in wide. It is the largest tray I've ever seen. A large 24lb turkey would seem small on this tray!!! It has beautiful ornate feet and is quite heavy. Should I mosaic it or just leave it as it is??? I paid $10 for this gorgeous find!!! Anyone have some advise????? Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver tray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calamity_J

If YOU want to mosaic it...then do so!!! It's gonna be beautiful either way, maybe enjoy it as it is for a while, then mosaic. I mosaiced a tea set that would look awesome on that! We(here on the Forum) went on a kick a few yrs ago, where we were all mosaicing trays and tea sets!lol! What fun!

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 12:31PM
cathyscache

CALAM: I've been researching this tray. I think I might wait on mosaicing it. It may be worth a bunch. Might possibly be real old, like 1800's. Not sure but it is a possibility I guess. So I am gonna wait for now..Later

Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 8:07PM
silvamae

Have you checked eBay for these trays? The prices vary wildly. I think you are wise to wait and check it out; it may be worth a lot of money. I have mosaiced lots of trays but they were all aluminum and they are fun to mosaic.

Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 9:01PM
cathyscache

Yes Silva I did and I got on an antique forum and they are trying to find out something for me. They are thinking it may be very old and valuable. We'll see. Either way i think I'm not going to mosaic it. I'll find another that isn't so old I guess.

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
Backsplash glass and stone tile tile problem...Help
We just had this beautiful glass/stone mosaic tile...
gargeres
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
Thrift Store Remake....
I thought it needed a little something extra.
brokenbitmosaics
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
Sponsored Products
Ombre PP Wall / Ceiling Mount
Lightology
Artemis Fan
Lightology
ELK Lighting 66411-2 Chadwick Flush Mount - 13W in. Silver - 66411-2
$252.00 | Hayneedle
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Drk Mahogany Thick Weave 34
Home Depot
Safavieh Handmade Popcorn Shag Silver Polyester Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Barcelona Four-Light Mystic Silver Bath Fixture
$272.00 | Bellacor
OK LIGHTING Lamps 71.5 in. Wooden Color Torcher Lamp OK-4175FTR
$92.09 | Home Depot
Jet Black Faux Silk Taffeta Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 96
$61.95 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™