satin poly looks really glossy, anyway to tone it down?

weluvnikMarch 3, 2010

We are building a new house and have a lot of stained woodwork throughout. We bought our first few cans of minwax satin polyurethane at a Sherwin Williams store, and were very please with it. The other cans we have bought at local home stores (lowes, etc). These cans seem to be going on much more glossy -- I really don't like the look of it at all. Is there a difference between the minwax sold at SW and at other stores? Do you know how we can "tone down" the glossiness? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
someone2010

Could be one can was stirred and another wasn't, or settled while you were applying it. You can knock down the gloss by rubbing it out with 0000 steel wood or pumice stone after it dries for about a week.

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 2:02AM
weluvnik

Thank you!

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 10:28AM
HandyMac

For future reference:

The stuff you bought from SW is the same as from the home store. The difference is that SW moves their stock faster, thereby keeping fresher product in stock.

The same stuff at a Borg(Home Improv. store) may have sat on the shelf for a much longer period of time.

All poly starts out as gloss. The amount of filler added determines the end look, satin, semi-gloss, whatever. If the contents of a can are not stirred(shaking is not recommended as that causes air bubbles) well enough, the dry finish will be different---as you found out.

The amount of time a product like this sits on a shelf impacts the ease of stirring as well as the amount of time required to stir and get the best mixture.

If you ever made a glass of chocolate milk using powdered chocolate mix, it is very easy to see this procedure. You stir in the powder, stir for several seconds, and find there is still undissolved mix at the bottom of the glass. You stir again and that amount of undissolved mix is less. But, if you let the glass sit for 15 minutes, some of the mix will again fall to the bottom and need restirring to remix.

Same thing happens with the product you are using.

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 11:16AM
weluvnik

Handymac -- thanks, that makes a lot of sense!

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 12:16PM
lorirusso2000_yahoo_com

I did the same thing over a painted floor. Can I use a Satin over it instead to tone down, as I am afraid I will peel the paint off.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
Brand new dewalt planer, not feeding?
Hopefully it's just me doing something wrong. It's...
fireweed22
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Finally mounted upper kitchen cabinet to sloped wall!
I finally got my cabinets installed. In particular,...
stripedbass
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™