Sink Cabinets: Cutting I-Beam the Same as ''Scooping''?

ironcookMarch 14, 2011

hi...

my kitchen cabinets will have i-beam construction, and these will have to be cut or removed in order for the sink to fit in the base.

the actual sides of the cabinet do not have to be cut. my impression is cutting the sides of the cabinets is called "scooping".

so is altering the i-beams the same as scooping, and will this weaken the cabinet? is it preferable to cut the shape of the sink out or just completely remove the i-beam?

thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

I had to look up a sales video to be sure I understood what you were asking about; "I-Beams" is marketing language meant to impress, not a conventional cabinetmaking term.

That said, it's virtually certain that your installer will simply cut the shape of the sink out of the "I-beams." There's no reason to remove them entirely.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 8:09AM
ironcook

hi jon1270,

thank you for your reply.

that is very interesting about the marketing vs. cabinetmaking term. please tell me what the correct term would be.

i'm from over in the kitchen forum, and someone posted that a contractor removed the entire i-beam. he told her it was only necessary for shipping and installation. this is why i was asking!

for anyone else, this is what we are told is "i-beam" construction:

example photos are from cliqstudios.com (didn't buy from here, though)

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 3:12PM
Jon1270

I'd call it a stiffener or a brace. I'm not sure there is a 'correct' term for it. Many, if not most kitchen cabinets don't have such a part at all. Their name for it strikes me as silly, since real I-beams are so named because they have a cross-sectional shape like a capital letter "I," which these do not.

Unless your sink cabinet is at the end of a run, with its side exposed to the room, I don't think you need to worry.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 5:14PM
ironcook

okay, thanks very much jon1270. :)

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 1:45AM
More Discussions
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™