GFCI wiring

jim912March 22, 2014

GFCI receptacle in my kitchen is not working after reset. I checked power to receptacle - reads 120V between LIne and GROUND (coming from main panel). Then I checked power directly into the outlet slots and it measures 0 voltage. Replaced GFCI with same results. There are 2 downstream outlets the also have no power. Used stab connections on back of outlet. Unsure what my next step should be - other than calling an electrician.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Chances are you have a fault. If it never resets, it's almost assuredly a ground-to-neutral fault somewhere. First step is to disconnect the downstream outlets and see if the GFCI resets. If so the fault is downstream. You can reconnect it and then go and disconnect the third outlet at the second, etc... to isolate the problem. Once you've found it look carefully for the bare ground touching the neutral screws or the neutral wire touching something (the box or one of the ground wires).

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 10:58AM
jim912

OK. I disconnected the black & white wires on the LOAD side of the GFCI and got the same results - 120V across the LINE/GROUND wires but nothing in the GFCI slots. The wiring into the GFCI appears to be tight.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 12:32PM
Ron Natalie

What about LINE-NEUTRAL?

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 2:04PM
jim912

Across the hot and neutral it's measuring 5.6V.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 3:55PM
Ron Natalie

Something's wrong with your feed. You should get 120V HOT-NEUTRAL.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 4:27PM
jim912

I thought the GFI outlet was first in that circuit. Is it possible there's something else before it or is just it bad wiring between the panel and the outlet? Nothing's ever been changed - it just happened.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 4:39PM
niick84

If you have power from hot to ground but you are reading nothing or very low voltage from hot to neutral then you have a lost neutral somewhere. Look for a j-box or maybe the panel it comes from, worse case scenario you need to run a new wire and abandon the old one.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 8:33PM
Ron Natalie

I concur with nick on this one. Obviously the hot and most likely the ground are intact. The neutral isn't. As far as your meter is concerned, neutral and ground should be synonymous.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 8:01AM
jim912

Thanks guys, you've given me something to research. If I can't find anything, I'll call in a professional.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
regina_phalange
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™