Kitchen Window Sizing Help/ Size Guidelines

thumbs_03August 13, 2012

Help!

Our kitchen remodel is being held up by a wingle window- the builder can't submit for permits until we have the window dimensions. My designer has suggested going as wide as we can (80") but I am not sure I want to go that wide. The window will face the neighbors house, about 30' away. We can see the woods out back and gardens out front but the majority of the view will be the house and/or whatever trees we plant in that space. Wintertime will have a drastically less pleasant view. There are no plans for wall cabinets on the ~20' long window wall but there will be a peninsula sticking out about 2/3 of the way down the wall with the 2/3 being floor cabinets/countertop.

So---

Are there guidelines for sizing a window/windows? Examples which come to mind:

1) As wide as the sink. Our Sink will be ~36" on a 36" cabinet.

2) 200% sink width so that it is 50% wider than the sink on each side

3) Far side of the dishwasher (adjacent to sink) to equal width on opposite side

4) ?????

Our designer has moved on to other projects, probably out of frustration with my picky detailing.

I think the attached image has the wrong size sink base.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EcoStarRemodel

No real rules. I think what you have there looks pretty good.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 12:10PM
charliehorse99

It is difficult to work out exactly where the wood trim ends in advance, which is beyond the window opening itself. Plus the sight lines of the window glass will have different lines as well. So basically what are you trying to line up with the cabinets? Glass site lights, trim, or something else? I think you should center the window on the wall or between upper cabinets, dont worry about the lower alignments.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 1:23AM
dljmth

We are doing a similar design. For us it's all about natural light. Our windows face East and we want as much morning sun as possible. The windows will look onto a deck/courtyard which is across from the master bedroom (u-shaped house). So it's not out looking at the back yard greenery but we will make the courtyard area colorful with potted plants and such. The windows are 36"x3= 108" This other picture is my inspiration picture. Those windows face East as well and look out to the side yard - essentially a fence. But it's about the natural light that comes in. Those windows are 32"x4 = 128".

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 8:20PM
More Discussions
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
What size windows - 10' + Cathedral Ceiling
I like the look of the hearth room pictured below....
burbmomoftwo
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™