wiring for dishwasher

ardcpMarch 12, 2014

could someone tell me if it's normal and acceptable to have a wire going directly into the dishwasher? i pulled mine out today because i smelled a burning electrical smell 2 days ago, found that whirlpools are catching fire and got concerned. we have a newer house and the dishwasher has it's own breaker in the box in the basement but no plug/outlet behind the dishwasher, just a thick white wire coming out of the wall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Some locations direct wire is perfectly fine. Some locations prefer that you attach a cord to the DW and plug it into an outlet.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 10:02AM
btharmy

Hard wired with nm cable has been the industry standard around here since they were invented. Only recently have contractors been installing receptacles for them. I usually installa duplex under the sink with one side switched and the other hot all the time. One for the dw and one for the disposal.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 3:11PM
hexus

If the dishwasher is right next to the sink, I use a cord and install a half hot receptacle under the sink. One side switched for the garbage disposal to plug into, the constant hot for the dishwasher.

If it's not right next to the sink I stub out a wire on the rough in and then direct wire it. If it's direct wired, a breaker lock off is required.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 4:11PM
Ron Natalie

Almost every dishwasher on the market today is cord-and-plug connected. Some people conveniently put the receptacle for the dishwasher under the sink but in other times it's behind the dishwasher.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™