Re-doing living Room

cooki1268August 18, 2013

I would like to re-do my living room. It is a very long (21-1/2 feet) and narrow (12-1/2 feet) room. Furniture placement has always been an issue. It feels like all of the furniture is pushed up against the walls (probably because it is =) .

I am going to get rid of everything (except the plant), and will be starting fresh. I just need some ideas on placement.

I really like these shelves to flank the fireplace, but nothing set in stone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sandi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
motherof3sons

What is the purpose of the room? Will there be a TV? Is this where guest enter the home and walk through to the kitchen area?

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:27PM
cooki1268

This will be our formal living room; however, we are not that formal. There will not be a television. It is where quests enter the home and walk to the kitchen area, along with where we will entertain guests.

Thanks,

Sandi

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:04PM
graywings123

Currently you appear to have a sofa, two chairs, coffee table, end table w/lamp, armoire, torchiere lamp, and maybe a bookcase. And it is a walk-through area for the kitchen.

Working with the furniture you have now:
I would first remove the coffee table from the room. Then I would pull the area rug towards the sofa, getting the sofa front feet on the rug. I would place the two chairs on either side of the fireplace, angled toward the sofa. I would try to get the front feet of the two chairs onto the area rug - might be possible, might not. You might need a larger rug. Place the torchiere behind one of the chairs.

Unless you need the armoire and bookcase (is it a bookcase?) in the room, I would lean towards getting them out of the room. I would rather see a long console table in that area.

If I were budgeting for this room, I would keep the current furniture and spend my money on (pricey) custom drapes - stationary panels to dress the three windows in the room. I would add a second side table for the sofa and a narrow side table for each chair.

If the current seating (sofa and two chairs) is not enough seating, I would look at maybe two ottomans that could sit in front of the large window and then be pulled into the main area of the room when entertaining a larger group.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:39PM
bpathome

If people usually walk through, you need a passage. If you sometimes entertain, you need a conversation area. So, could you place two loveseats, or 4 chairs, on either side of the fireplace, with perhaps 2 small tables pushed together (that you could separate as needed for a party)? Then, perhaps a console-type bookcase on the stairs wall. You need something in front of the front window, though. Plants? Or a table with lamps, and ottomans beneath you can pull out for more seating.

Pretty front doors, by the way, as well as the door to the, is it kitchen?

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
Chair Chairs Chairs Question for Holly-Kay
Holly-Kay, You suggested ladder back chairs for my...
Javachik
Budget kitchen remodel
We relocated to a new state, and bought this home last...
reallymelanie
who has grey kitchen cabinets?
would appreciate info from people who have grey cabinets...
mainewire
How do you dress a 30' expanse of windows?
I have a wall with three sets of sliding doors onto...
a2momcheers
Office Desks - Coordinating Styles
Hello all, I'm working on my home office, and I'm excited...
jan_in_wisconsin
Sponsored Products
White and Blue Luxe 3-Seat Sofa Slipcover
Cost Plus World Market
Small Glennwood Cedar Chest
Fifthroom.com
Quadra Suspension by De Majo
$839.40 | Lumens
Queen 200TC Embroidered Hem Sheet Set - WHITE/PINK
$225.00 | Horchow
Idas Garden Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$120.95 | Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Kandi Brown 1 ft.
$30.97 | Home Depot
Hudson Valley Selkirk Old Bronze 10" Wide Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
AXO Light | Muse 40 Ceiling or Wall Light
$369.90 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™