Walnut stain for Cherry cabinets

hehatemeMarch 10, 2011

I am thinking of finishing my basement. In my top 2 levels I have brazilian cherry floors, Cherry 3 panel door and Cherry cabinets.

Initially I thought that I will keep everything the same in my lower level. I got a quote that included the same wood and color.

Later on I decided that I wanted a darker color like walnut. Here is an example of the color I like for cabinets and doors.

http://www.casaverdedesign.com/portfolio#cv-portfolio-02

I was told that Cherry does not stain well and most people like Cherry in its natural color.

The only option I was given was a mahogony stain on cherry. I don't think mahogony will be anywhere close to the walnut color shown above.

I was told that if I want that color I should choose birch or poplar for the doors and cabinets. I don't know much about these wood types.

How do poplar and birch compare to Cherry in durability and looks. I am not sure the builder is going to give me a lot of credit for downgrading from Cherry to ther other wood types so I am having a hard time making a decision. Will Poplar and Cherry be as durable and nice as Cherry? Will they look cheap?

Let me know if have any suggestions for me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aidan_m

"Brazilian cherry" is Jatoba.

Cherry and Jatoba look nothing alike.

Have your contractor bring samples, stained and finished, of the actual materials he will use... or is proposing to use.

The type of wood used, Poplar, Birch, Cherry, or Jatoba, is irrelevant to whether the product will look "cheap"

Poplar is a little bit softer than Cherry, Birch is harder than Cherry, however the quality of the finish is more important than the relative hardness of the wood, for your application.

Check out some of his other work and you will know exactly what he is capable of producing, and whether it is going to meet your standards.

And I recommend getting at least another bid, even if you are totally sure about using the one contractor.

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™