Question about alder

kitchenchaosMarch 22, 2008

I am having custom select alder cabinets built. Can these be stained to look like walnut? I would like them to have more of that color than a redish like I usually see on them. Can you recommend a stain color I might like? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zennmaster

Check this out.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Staining_and_Blending_Difficult_Woods.html

There's no magic bullet for what you're seeking. I highly recommend securing some alder and do lots of testing. Moreover, write down everything you do so it can be repeated.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 2:23AM
lily1960

I have seen alder stained in both a light walnut and a medium walnut stain that both looks very nice. See if you can get 2 unfinished blocks of alder wood to sample both colors on that way you can get an idea of what it will look like. Good luck

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 6:46PM
jrdwyer

Red alder stains very nicely and it is often used instead of hard maple. So although you can get the color tone of steamed black walnut using a stain on alder, you won't get the rich grain pattern that walnut offers.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 11:25AM
aidan_m

I think Lyptus would stain like Black Walnut. That may be the most economical material that has a grain texture similar to Walnut. Alder will never look like Walnut because the grain is way different.

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™