Correct ground wiring for a light?

cruzmislMarch 31, 2011

Hi All,

I just hung a new bathroom fixture and was wondering if I hooked up the ground correctly. The fixture has a ground wire. Also supplied was a ground screw on the base of the fixture (mounts to the wall) and a ground screw on the support (that holds the threaded rod) which is secured to the electrical box.

My home wiring has a ground that terminates on the electrical box. I secured the mount

and hooked up the ground wire of the fixture to the ground screw on the base of the fixture. I did not bother to run a ground from the box to the fixture since I figured it would be grounded when I secured the light to the box.

I measured the resistance of the fixture to the ground wire and it was less than half an ohm (.4 to be specific). Is this acceptable? Sorry if its confusing.

Thanks!

Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

No, it is not acceptable. If the fixture has a ground wire, you must connect it. The mounting screws for the fixtures are NOT sufficient no matter what you measure with your meter.

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 8:58AM
cruzmisl

I attached the ground wire of the fixture to the ground screw on the base of the fixture (which is mounted to the wall). The fixture base is mounted to the junction box and since the box is grounded, the fixture base should be too. Maybe I wasn't clear on that. Does that change your opinion?

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 8:37PM
cruzmisl

or do I need to run a ground wire from the box to the ground wire on the mount and then attach the fixture ground?

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 8:44PM
DavidR

All the provided grounds should be connected together with the ground in the cable (if provided) and a pigtail to the box itself (if it's metal).

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 3:47AM
More Discussions
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™