Help me get from A to B!

yhzinpdxMarch 28, 2010

We just bought our first home and are hoping to paint some of the original wood white and darken the remainder. Any ideas on the best way to get from A to B? We have no experience whatsoever, so no detail or recommendation is too basic:)

This is the way it currently looks:

This is the color we're looking for:

Also, is it sacrilege to want to remove that wood trim part way up the wall?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Get new doors and stain/finish like you want.

Will be much faster and ultimately less trouble/expense.

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 2:31AM
yhzinpdx

Thanks handymac, is that because stripping is so much work or because we're unlikely to be able to get the colors right? Is there a way to refinish the wood to get it to look more like dark walnut and less orangey?

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 3:16AM
HandyMac

Stain or dye will not work on finished wood. Getting the finish off the wood trim/doors in your photo's would need to be done by professional strippers or take many hours of DIY stripping/scraping.

It is relatively easy to apply a shellac based primer(Zinsser's BIN is the one I usually use for interior priming) and then paint that trim.

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 9:46AM
yhzinpdx

Thanks for the great advice. I think we'll have some professional strippers do the bits we want to keep wood and paint the rest white.

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 10:52PM
karinl

There is a lot of discussion on the old house forum about stripping woodwork - troll around there for old threads. My own old house has woodwork with about 8 layers of paint on it, and it has been (still is) an ongoing trudge to strip it all. Yours looks like a piece of cake to me in comparison.

True that you can't stain over the varnish that's on there, but you can certainly paint over it - for the dark finish, with a darker clear coat, assuming you can get such a thing. And painting white over top would obviously be fine - just that you might need to get an alkyd/oil based paint or varnish as a latex/water based product might not stick well.

KarinL

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 6:58PM
karinl

There is a lot of discussion on the old house forum about stripping woodwork - troll around there for old threads. My own old house has woodwork with about 8 layers of paint on it, and it has been (still is) an ongoing trudge to strip it all. Yours looks like a piece of cake to me in comparison.

True that you can't stain over the varnish that's on there, but you can certainly paint over it - for the dark finish, with a darker clear coat, assuming you can get such a thing. And painting white over top would obviously be fine - just that you might need to get an alkyd/oil based paint or varnish as a latex/water based product might not stick well.

KarinL

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 7:00PM
yhzinpdx

Thanks karinl, I'll check out the old house forum and am glad to hear it looks like a piece of cake!

Alex

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
Woodworking tools
If you're in search of high-quality woodworking tools,...
steve_hs
Finish for mantle
We had someone make a mantle from pine and while it's...
Jennifer White Green
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
Finish for cedar window box
I'm fairly new at woodworking. I just completed a cedar...
hoganjr
Sponsored Products
Crystorama Hot Deal Polished Brass Eight-Light 29'' Wide Chandelier
$700.00 | LuxeDecor
Custom Sawyer Upholstered Bed
Home Decorators Collection
Dale Tiffany Art Glass Hearts Sculpture
$58.89 | LuxeDecor
Surya Mystique M-329 2'6" x 8' Grass Rug
$226.80 | PlushRugs
Ten Family Guy Stewie Party String Lights
$19.98 | Lamps Plus