Need educational guidance

JanimanMarch 27, 2013

I,m new in this industry. I,m an electrician apprentice. I perform assigned tasks under the supervision of an electrician. I,m learning things very slowly. I want to earn a good income and want to become a professional electrician. My question is: What education and training is required to become a professional electrician.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

What municipality are you in?

Check with the local community college. They will often have the courses you need to study for the certification exams.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 4:26AM
petey_racer

It ALL depends on where you are.
In NYS for instance there are literally NO qualifications or requirements to be an electrician in much of the state.
On the contrary, in MA and CT the requirements are many and you also require continuing education throughout your career.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 7:05AM
Janiman

I live in Anaheim CA.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 1:51PM
Ron Natalie

Here is a link to the California page on licensure procedure.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ECU/ElectricalTrade.html

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 3:34PM
mm11

Think about a union apprenticeship through the IBEW. The classes are free- the only costs incurred are buying books. You'll save thousands of dollars and complete an apprenticeship which is recognized by state and federal government. Some 'trade schools' charge $10k+ for 6 or 12 month course and give a 'certificate' which essentially means nothing to employers. Becoming a journeyman -electrician or other skilled trades- gives the opportunity to earn decent money without going to college and all the associated debt. Good luck with school and stay safe in the field- I'll get off my soapbox now :)

Here's a link from the ca.gov site giving info and wages- looks like a first year apprentice makes $15.82

http://www.dir.ca.gov/databases/das/results_aigdetail.asp?varOccId=448

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange County electrical apprenticeship

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 8:50AM
btharmy

The IBEW apprenticeship (JATC) also includes (here in Indy at least) an associates degree at a local community college. It is paid for by your employer. As stated before, the only cost to you is books and 5 years of your time. Well worth the investment.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Ceiling fan wiring
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™