How to Convert a Kitchen Wall Cabinet to a Base Cabinet

chipster_2007March 18, 2011

I want to install a small 30" long cabinet in my pantry. I have a 1-1/2" base built but am not sure what would be the best way to attach it to the cabinet. I also have a formica countertop to install on top and could use some helpful info on the best way to do so. Any info or websites that would be helpful in completing this project would be appreciated. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sawbuck70

Assuming you are butting the back of the cabinet to a wall, you can use silicone caulk as a strong adhesive to secure atop the base, and to secure the c-top to the cabinet. The screws used to secure the cabinet box to the wall will hold the entire assembly from moving. Some installers use screws to attatch cabs to base platforms & c-tops to hold in place til adhesive cures, we don't.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 9:02AM
sombreuil_mongrel

When you say "base" I think you mean a toekick or riser so the cabinet sits off the floor, no?
If you made this from 2x stock, and have shimmed it level off the floor in both directions, and can secure the cabinet itself to at least 2 studs, there's really no reason to worry about fastening them together beyond a few finish nails. If you had a couple of 2 1/2" screws, you could screw through the floor of the cabinet and catch the base. If you were wrapping the base with molding, you could lip it slightly onto the cabinet trapping it.
Casey

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 12:56PM
chipster_2007

Thank you both for your responses. The silicone caulk is a great idea and will use. Yes, I was referring to a toe kick. I do have a 2x4 which I will try. Are there any tips to shimming it level because I tried that once before and was not to successful.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
Brand new dewalt planer, not feeding?
Hopefully it's just me doing something wrong. It's...
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™