Window Installation Questions

rdonchezJuly 24, 2014

I am obtaining quotes for replacement windows in my home. Today I received a quote and when I asked the installer if they used spray foam - he said no which I found odd. Is spray the preferred insulation for new windows? Should I insist on spray foam?

Second, I have a brick home with an exposed steel lintel over the windows. Should the lintel be covered during the install with capping or left exposed? I've had various answers from installers.

Lastly, is there any preference or advantages to pvc coated coil for capping versus just painted or aluminum coil?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
UltraWindows

Insulating the cavity around the window with minimal expanding foam is the best method of installation as it creates an airtight barrier when applied properly. Insisting that a contractor use it, when he doesn't regularly do so could be dangerous however. Improperly applied, it could void the window manufacturers warranty and can bow the windows.

The steel lintel should be left uncovered.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:41PM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

+1

I agree 100% with Ultra Windows.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:18AM
rdonchez

Thanks. I was somewhat suprised when the installer just summarily dismissed using spray foam - almost sounded like it wasnt worth the hassle to them. He said if its insisted on they would probably charge extra per window.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 9:44AM
mmarse1

The lintel is left uncivered. Spray foam is a bit more expensive than fiberglass hence the upcharge. However, he doesnt seem as if he uses foam which is why he doesnt want to use it. There is somewhat of a learning curve.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:41AM
rdonchez

One more follow-up question. One installer says they use PVC Trim Coil for the capping while others just use regular aluminum coil for the capping. Is there any difference or is one preferred? My house is brick with steel lintels above the window if that is relevant. Thanks.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:11PM
millworkman

Six of one, half dozen of the other. No difference, just personal preference.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:41AM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

+1

We like the non-PVC for better scratch resistance but it is most personal preference.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
dfb_jlw
Storm doors with hidden built-in screens?
I'm considering doing something "strange,"...
texasgal47
Remove window film immediately?
My contractor has been installing my new Anderson Woodwright...
keys
Okna vs. Simonton for bow window
Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insights with...
rirae
Pros please help differentiate between two window manufacturers...
Hello, we are the midst of a new construction build...
rebph
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™