Ideas for storms / screens on 1920's house?

lsohJuly 16, 2010

I have a 1920's bungalow. The windows are considered part of the architecture and I have been advised not to replace them. The windows swing in like french doors. The problem is the storms and screens. The screens are installed for the summer, storm windows for the winter. Each storm or screen hangs from two exterior hooks and then it's pulled in and tighten with an eye hook at the bottom. Problems include 1) It's difficult to install or remove the storms because they are so heavy and you must hold them out the window and blindly catch the exterior hooks along the top. 2) In the summer, must either commit to all air conditioning or all window ventilation as the interior windows aren't all that tight. So removing the storms and running the air isn't very efficient. 3) After 80+ years, only 4 screens remain usable 4) Neither the screens or storm windows fit tightly anymore. Long story, but a contractor altered the exterior and so they aren't very snug. For the screens, that means a bug problem. For the storms, it means they aren't very efficient.

I don't really expect to find a solution that fixes item #2 above without replacing the original windows.

Cost is an issue. But so is appearance, effectiveness, and ease of use. There are 17 effected windows.

What would you suggest?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Hi,
We installed wood screens and storms on a ca. 1800 house two summers ago. The windows were extremely out of square so an inordinate amount of time was required to fit them and do frame repairs as I went along. I think they cost around $350 per opening for both, and installation and painting was additional.
They were made in 1" mahogany, BTW.
I'm guessing that your windows aren't 1 1/2" out of square.
With the windows you have left, it would be possible to have them modified (or remade) so that the frame always stayed in place and sub-frames with glass or screen were interchangeable from inside. Usually (with double hungs) the upper half is fixed glass and the lower half is the removable type.
The loose-fitting ones could be remedied with some type of applied weatherstripping?
Casey

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 1:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tube

Check out the offerings from allied windows. They seem to have nice storm windows for any application and from what I have seen their quality is excellent.

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Hunter Douglas Roller Shades Not Staying Down
We have a bunch of new Hunter Douglas Roller Shade...
Sean
Remove window film immediately?
My contractor has been installing my new Anderson Woodwright...
keys
Full Replacement Questions, Resources?!? Woodwright vs. E-series?
We are in the midst of ordering full-frame replacements...
joeyjoey1
Sponsored Products
NW 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 120/m 10mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Eastwood Ottoman - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
King Quilt 104" x 90" - CORAL
$230.00 | Horchow
Odense Bentwood Magazine Rack in Walnut Finish
$79.99 | Dot & Bo
Etruscan Sunset Giclee Glow Black Bronze Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Quadralli One-Light Pendant in Silver Leafed Finish with Shimmering Screen of Pl
Bellacor
Arteriors Home - Lydia Screen - 6337
Great Furniture Deal
Bruck | Zonyx Lara Spot Light
$135.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™