chisel bit sets

woodchuck1800March 18, 2008

I'm not sure if i am in the right place or not, but here is my guestion. does any one out there know where i might be able to buy a chisel and bit set for a central machinery mortising machine . Yes i know but i got it at a garage sale for 20.00 bucks. all the ones that i have found have a 5/8 chisel shank mine is 3/4 and the bit lenth is 8 inches. went to harbor frieght first they don't seem to know anything. glad i didn't spend to much for it. any help would be much appreciated thank you

Vince

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Central Machinery is the brand name for Harbor Freight Tools---who sell Chinese made knock off design tools. Some of their tools are simply exact copies of name brand models in a different color---even parts interchange. The tools/parts are made as cheaply as possible, however, and Customer Service is simply replacement under warranty.

You might look in a HF catalog. Otherwise, it will be luck.

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 4:52PM
sombreuil_mongrel

Hi,
Maybe a 1/8" bushing is called for the install the 5/8" bits in the 3/4" collet. That's the way the grizzly mortiser works for the different sizes of chisels in the range from 1/4 to 5/8 diameter.
Casey

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 7:18PM
william_3t

First let me say that the mortising chisel and bit set must be matched. The gap between the chisel and bit must be such that the chips created do not get hung up between them. The density of the wood also plays a part as well but I do not know the details on that.

Now the 3/4 shank on the mortising chisel is a common size but there are others. Buying a chisel and bit set is like buying a replacement drill bit, the make of the machine has no bearing on it. They are listed for sale at most places by size and depth of the mortise you want to make. The other dimensional details are all variable and up to you.

Woodcraft Supply has many sizes for sale. I have included a URL link.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=8313&mode=details#tabs

Also if you are unfamiliar with setting it up this link has a good article.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/setupmort.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodcraft Supply

Bookmark   March 24, 2008 at 6:47PM
bandit_tx

3/4" shank mortise sets...

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=8313

Here is a link that might be useful: woodcraft mortise sets

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
africanboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™