Restoration Hardware - shipping is how much???

bbstxAugust 8, 2014

The RH chair below is perfect for me to use as a desk chair in the study. And it is on sale for $249. Perfect! However, when I went to order it, the shipping was $249 - 100% of the chair price!

I have ordered soft goods from RH before, but not furniture. For $249 shipping on a straight chair, I'd expect it to be delivered by Tom Brady with fois gras and Dom Perignon.

Did I choose the wrong shipping option? I could not find a place to choose a different shipping option. 100% shipping is ridiculous. The closest store is 4 hours one way, so picking it up really isn't an option.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeinohio

I wanted their portal medicine cabinet and was willing to pay what I thought was an already inflated price; however, when I added it to my cart to see shipping, it was so exorbitant, I didn't buy. I refuse to pay 2/3 the cost of the item to ship. RH also doesn't have these items in their stores.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 2:44PM
vedazu

if you buy furniture on EBay and have it shipped--chairs or tables--you can expect those kinds of prices. They will palletize them--rigid packing, well, well wrapped. I've just added that on the total price when I'm looking for "bargains." They've got to be amazingly priced if they're going to shipped somewhere.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 3:55PM
Olychick

For that much, you could drive the 4 hours, get a decent hotel room, have dinner out and drive back the next day! Sheesh!

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 5:28PM
Fun2BHere

I usually play with the math and consider if I would buy the item for the total amount made up of price, shipping and tax. If the answer is yes, I move ahead. Otherwise, I look for an alternative.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 5:37PM
nosoccermom

I got 149.00 for shipping to the DC area for the 249.00 chair (Belgian Linen in Sand). Same price to ship to the San Francisco area.
It actually said unlimited furniture delivery for that price.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 19:15

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 7:12PM
Holly- Kay

I looked at an Industrial baking rack to use in DGS bedroom as a bookshelf. The rack was 349 or 399 but shipping was 149. It did say unlimited shipping for that amount but that really is more than I want to pay for shipping.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 8:11PM
bbstx

Sand Belgian Linen in any wood finish is $249. Yes, I saw that it was "unlimited furniture delivery." That's great when you are ordering an entire suite of bedroom furniture or a complete dining room, but when you only want one chair and when the delivery equals the price of the chair, that is simply ridiculous.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 8:34PM
bbstx

Here is a pretty close approximation at Overstock. The chair is $4 more and striped, but shipping is FREE!

I'll keep looking....

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 8:37PM
bbstx

Home Decorator's $299 +$35 shipping

I'll have to admit that I like the welting on the RH chair more than the nailheads on this chair.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 8:49PM
jakabedy

Don't even get me started. I went around with them a couple weeks ago about the shipping charges and the vagaries/dishonesty in their literature. I was looking at an $899 table, then started looking at the shipping charges. There are three tiers of the "unlimited" shipping: $149 for folks "near one of our stores", $249 for folks in the next distance tier, and $349 for those of us who apparently live in a suburb of the Gobi Desert.

I first asked if I could pick it up at a store (6 hours away) and save the shipping cost entirely. Nope. The stores aren't a part of the shipping process -- there's no way to avoid the shipping cost. So then I wrote back and asked how the shipping "zones" could be based on proximity to a retail store, if the retail store has no bearing on shipping. I got some cut-and-pasted scripted customer service responses about the shipping simply covering costs. So then I asked how it was possible that it would cost $349 to send me a table, and also cost $349 to send my neighbor a semi-truck full of tables, and wasn't this, in a sense, smaller customers subsidizing the shipping costs of wealthier customers. More scripted response.

But I still ******* love that table.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 11:34PM
bbstx

Wisteria's version. In "natural," it is $212. I have a coupon for 20% off. Shipping is $118 (still exorbitant). Total with tax is $312, or only $50 more than the original price of the RH chair.

I will be posting a separate thread about Wisteria quality. Please comment, if you have an opinion.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 10:33PM
allison0704

DD1 and her BF just ordered a DR table and 2 slipcovered chairs from RH. The "extra10" coupon code plus the "special" price on the table made the 249 unlimited shipping easier to stomach. They live in NorCal, but in the 2nd tier shipping distance.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 8:40AM
bbstx

I'm glad it wasn't totally awful for your DD and her BF, allison. At least they came close to getting value for their money. I have ordered furniture from NC on several occasions. I think I paid less than $50 for shipping on a very large sofa. The RH flatrate shipping is a boon for those who are ordering gargantuan pieces but for one little chair, it is ridiculous.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 10:31AM
kswl2

BBstx, the RH chair is the SAME chair as the one at Wisteria, Home Decorators, and Overstock. Contrary to the quasi-religious furniture BS the catalogs imply, their stuff is not all handmade by grizzly old 'artisans' in centuries old factories with candles for lighting. They BUY stuff just like every other retailer. RH is a scam of monumental proportions, from the catalog to the furniture, right down to the shipping costs.

Fwiw, I like the striped chair better!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 11:06AM
bbstx

Aw, kwsl, you mean there is only a man behind a curtain? There is no wizard? There is no artisan using hand made tools to hand make the furniture? You have burst my bubble!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 11:46AM
kswl2

Lol, I was actually thinking of the Emperor.....you know, the one with no clothes!

Adding, I know no one could actually believe that drivel, but something is making otherwise savvy shoppers buy that stuff. Someone posted a picture of a trestle table in another thread that was almost a dead ringer for an RH table but a thousand $ less. Except for a minor detail on the legs it was essentially the same table. The chairs you posted are identical, not even a minor difference. And there are vendors at Scott's Antique Market (upscale flea market one weekend a month in Atlanta and somewhere in Ohio) that sell very similar chairs for about $149, full stop.

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 12:00

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 11:54AM
bbstx

In my irritation with RH about the flat rate shipping policy, I started doing a little research on the company. Can you believe their stock is going up? Apparently investors believe they are doing something right!

Scott's is on my bucket list!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:14PM
bbstx

In my irritation with RH about the flat rate shipping policy, I started doing a little research on the company. Can you believe their stock is going up? Apparently investors believe they are doing something right!

Scott's is on my bucket list!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:18PM
forboystoo

You mean to tell me that they are actually buying from China at $75 a pop ??Sorry pic is bad.. Alibaba won't let you grab a photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Square-back-arm-chair_1987539882.html

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:26PM
bbstx

Minimum purchase is 6. Wonder what I would do with the other 5? And I'll bet shipping isn't more that $249 for all 6!!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:46PM
kitschyKitch

It would seem to me that if I needed only one chair, and was not matching it to something, I could find one in person somewhere. Have you looked around?

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:55PM
kswl2

BBstx you could buy six and sell the other five at a massive profit!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 1:00PM
bbstx

kitch, I live in the total boonies, AND I hate to shop.

kwsl, I seriously, for one second, thought about doing just that! Or, I could give everyone in the family a chair for Christmas! I think they already think of me as "crazy Aunt BB." HA!!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 1:45PM
forboystoo

bbstx- I was merely showing as example. With Alibaba you would have to deal with customs,duties and ports of entry.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 2:03PM
Holly- Kay

Yes, customs and duties will double the price. I imported goods one time and it was the last!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 3:06PM
bbstx

Y'all, I was kidding! I'm not going to buy a bunch of those chairs, even if it would cement my "crazy aunt" status!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 7:18PM
kswl2

BBstx I was kidding also (obviously you knew!). But I have purchased goods from other countries directly from the manufacturers and the tariffs for personal use are minimal. And since we live fairly near the port of Savannah and not too too far from Jacksonville, the freight inland wasn't too much, either. If I lived in the Midwest I would t consider it.

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 23:04

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 9:35PM
JJ

you're complaining about $149 shipping? Heh, I wish I had unlimited shipping to my location. I have many things on order and they're all charged SEPARATE shipping for each item.

Shipping the RH trestle table to Canada cost $420 US (thats 20% shipping + customs) with another $327 US in sales tax.

Bookmark   February 9, 2015 at 10:39AM
catkinZ8a

The carriers are probably getting back at them for those giant catalog mailings....

Bookmark   February 9, 2015 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Need Light for Kitchen Table
So, I am posting old photos of my kitchen (it has since...
sheilaaus122
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
Is this a great statement or a great ugly mess?
Hello to all I could use your input here I have a mid...
chicagoerin
What other photo sharing site besides Photobucket?
nevermind Ok, so I do need help. I'm done with Photobucket....
SheeshareeII
Do all decorative vases need flowers?
Just moved and trying to decorate new home. I bought...
eppe4
Sponsored Products
Radial White 18-Inch Outdoor Wall Light
$224.95 | Bellacor
Replacement Filter for 36" Fente Series Stainless Steel Under-Cabinet Range Hood
Signature Hardware
Quoizel Kami 17" Wide Vintage Bronze Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
American Drew Tribecca Bar Height Stool in Root Beer Color
Beyond Stores
Spring Green Spoonula
$6.99 | zulily
Cambridge Garnet Red Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Orbitor Forest Green 12-Inch Outdoor Pendant with Frosted Glass and White Cord
$189.95 | Bellacor
Hudson Valley Benton Restoration-Vintage Bath Vanity Light