Any legal way to reuse these abandoned circuits?

doc8404February 21, 2012

I have two currently abandoned in place circuits which are capped off and terminated in separate work boxes:

a) a 10/3 non-metalic sheathed NM-B 220V cable protected by a 30A CB which lands in the main panel,


b) a cable marked "E32071 3CDRS AWG6 compact AL Triple Alloy AA8176 Type SE cable Style U type XHHW 2 CDRS 600V" protected by a 30A CB which lands in a sub-panel.

Is there any way I can use either of these cables to split the hot legs and turn them into 20A 110V circuits? (Assuming I use the proper CBs in the panels).

I assume I cannot power a new sub-panel from the SE cable (and run my 20A circuits from the new sub) because it originates in a sub-panel and it is a 3 wire cable.

The 10/3 has no ground so, I think I am pretty limited here too. Right?

What I am hoping to accomplish is create a third 20A kitchen circuit (already have 2) to hook up to receptacles in a new island.

Any hope for me or do I have to put in a 12/2 homerun to the island from either the main panel or existing sub?

Alternatively, can I tie in the island circuit to an existing lighting circuit since I already have my two dedicated small appliance kitchen circuits in place?

Hmmmm - now that I think about it - I could tie the new island receptacles into one of the existing kitchen appliance circuits and just call it a day, couldn't I?



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

If you don't have three conductors + ground, there's no way to turn this into a multi wire branch circuit and and split off two 120V ones.

You could put a single pole 20A breaker and turn them into 120V 20A circuits.

Nothing prevents you from running subpanels off subpanels but you do need separate grounds and neutrals.

    Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 6:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The NM-B should be marked '10/3 with gnd' and could then be used to power a sub-panel since it has 4 wires (in NM the ground is not 'counted').

If the SE cable has three insulated conductors AND a separate ground conductor it would be fine.

The markings on the individual conductors are not as important here as the markings on the overall jacket.

Southwire calls the type of SE you need suitable for 3-phase service (3 insulated conductors plus a bare neutral for 3-phase use)

    Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 10:04AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™