Adding a new 220v circuit

pbudzyj77February 11, 2014

Hello I have an old subpanel inside my apartment that is fed by a 30 amp disconnect by the meter in the back of the complex. There are 3 wires that feed the subpanel which are 2 hots and a nuetral that are 10 gauge. There is no ground wire feeding into the sub and there is no ground bar in the sub (way old panel with type T breakers. Seems way undersized for an apartment but it is small. My question is I would like to add a 220 circuit to run a small motor and without having a ground bar in the subpanel and no way to run a ground to either the main disconnect or to a rod outside how would I go about wiring this. Can I run a ground from the new 220 outlet ground screw to the nuetral bus in the sub (i know this is frowned upon)? Or do I add a new ground bus in the panel even though it would not be connected to a ground rod or to the main disconnect? Thanks in advance for the input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Totally apart from the technical issues, where is your landlord on this, given that it's not your property, and you are, I presume, not a licensed electrician? Building codes generally demand that licensed electricians do the work on any multi-family dwelling. And then there is the issue of the insurance ramifications if the building burns down....

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 1:17AM
More Discussions
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™