removing dried up carpenters' glue

karinlMarch 5, 2011

I have an antique cabinet that I bought several years ago with a puddle of what I'm guessing to be dried up carpenter's glue in the bottom. It's inside where it doesn't show, but I'm now wanting to sell it and I think removing the glue would facilitate that.

I always try water first, and water does v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y soften the glue to the point where it can be removed, but it's still difficult, and did I mention slow? Chipping it up with a chisel is also an option (although it chips the wood, that's better than the glue), but it's very awkward to work at the back of the bottom shelf.

Is there a better way? I have both heat gun and and and IR stripping tool, would either of these work?

Thanks for any assistance,


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Try a cabinet scraper. It won't gouge the wood like the chisel

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet scraper

    Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 5:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for suggesting a better tool, Aidan, I tend to try to do everything with a flexible scraper.

In this case, my husband was so sure a heat gun would work that I finally agreed to try it - it's a tool I usually hate using. But this time it was worth it - heat softens the glue to nice workable consistency so it pulls away quite cleanly. So it's done!


    Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 10:15PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
Finally mounted upper kitchen cabinet to sloped wall!
I finally got my cabinets installed. In particular,...
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™