Certainteed Newcastle III vinyl windows

16cassieJuly 30, 2011

Has anyone had any experience with the Certainteed Newcastle III vinyl new construction windows? Is it a quality window?

We are replacing several double-hung windows with new construction windows. We were told the Anderson 400 T/W is not an option for us, due to the sizes of our original Peachtree windows, so now I have to find something else that I like.

Any thoughts or facts regarding these windows would be helpful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

Nearly any vinyl window can be manufactured to fit a custom size opening. I'm not familiar with the Newcastle per se but Certainteed Windows are made by MI which, while they don't produce horrible windows, also don't have a reputation for producing the best. I would encourage you to look at some other manufacturers so that you can get a feel for what constitutes a quality window. Do not assume that because 2 windows have the same energy efficiency numbers, that they are of equal quality.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 7:00AM
skydawggy

Follow-up***

I just remembered that the NewCastleIII is the old Bren MawrII. It a low mid-grade window built for the budget shopper. It that fits your profile, you should be OK as long as you don't overpay for it. However, keep in mind it is a budget window, similar to buying furniture from Walmart.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 7:11AM
16cassie

Skydawggy, thanks for your reply. I was wondering if I might send you an email to ask you a couple of questions, since you seem pretty knowlegeable about windows??

I've gotten so many different answers from the contractors and salespeople where I live regarding windows, that I'm not sure of anything anymore! I'm ready to just scrap this window project soon if I can't get some answers to some important questions!

Cassie

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 1:22PM
skydawggy

It can be pretty frustrating. Sometimes I spend more time convincing someone that what they were told simply isn't true or that it's just sales hype than I do enlightening them to the realities of purchasing windows. Just click on my email and I'll be happy to try and help you sort it out. Or you can visit my website and send me an email from there.

Here is a link that might be useful: EcoStar Remodeling

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Simonton 5500 v. Soft-Lite Pro (replacement and new )
Hi, We are remodeling our house in Washington DC. We...
amy2905
Time to replace the windows?
There has been almost constant ice build up around...
tonyzzztony
Deciding between Grand Estates/Amcraft or Okna 500dx, advice?
Both are new construction. The Grand Estates is just...
happyallison
Brand recommendation?
I would very much appreciate some recommendations on...
oakenacres
new construction vs "replacement" windows
I am somewhat confused from reading various company...
mmdoh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™