Does this sound right?

plumeriavine_2010February 20, 2010

I don't know if I can explain this, but when my GC's helpers did the electrical runs for backsplash outlets, they did so by:

using prewired spiral wrap electrical flex conduit

studs were notched on the perimeter edge

the spiral wrap was put into the notches

then steel straps were used to anchor the spiral wrap in place within the notches

Then it was mudded.

Does this sound OK?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It's not my preferred method, but it is permitted.
I would rather have the studs drilled through the center and the cable threaded through. When the studs are notched like yours, a steel plate is required on the edge to keep a drywallers nail from piercing the cable.
Notching is faster but weakens the stud, probably not a concern in that location.

    Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 8:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Randy is right. There needs to be a 1/16" steel plate here (flex isn't one of the listed exemptions). The NEC defers to your local building codes as to whether you can hack away at framing in this manner.

    Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 8:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I struggle with possible synonyms - - is "flex" the same as what my husband identified as "spiral wrap"?
So hard conduit (steel plate 1/16") is needed when studs are notched?

I want to put in a nail-in-place backsplash (copper tiles) eventually, so that would be very problematic to have something other than hard conduit running in the surface of the wall.

    Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 1:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

One of the specifically listed metal conduits (rigid, interediate, EMT) is required if you don't COVER it with a plate. Armored cable of any variety isn't going to cut it. The plates are common items, you can even find them at Home Depot.

    Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 3:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Just to be totally clear - thanks in advance for your patience with me - - the entire horizontal length of the "flex" in the wall needs to be covered with a plate (or actually many sections of plate?), not just at the studs. They did put little brackets over the flex at the studs, but not over the entire length.

    Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 9:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No, when you run wire (or plumbing for that matter) through a stud, you should put a metal plate over it so that you do not later penetrate the wire (or water pipe) with a nail or screw. The entire length is not covered, just where it passes through a stud. So the plate is (usually) the width of the stud.

    Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 6:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks - I feel better about it now. You guys are awesome!

    Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 1:24AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™