NM stub in wall

analogmusicmanFebruary 24, 2014

I know that code says that every splice must be accessible and can't be buried in a wall. this makes sense and every splice I encounter is put into a junction box with a blank plate covering it. but what about live NM that feeds from somewhere and splices to nothing else? (this is called a stub I believe) does that have to be in a junction box too,or can it be taped and buried in the wall?

tnx,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jreagan_gw

Is this an abandoned circuit of some kind? Where is the other end connected? Disconnect it and you no longer have a live wire. There is no point in keeping it energized if you can't get to the other end.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 11:59PM
greg_2010

As jreagan said, if you no longer need the cable, disconnect it from the source (and push that end out of the box so that it can never be re-energized). Then it just becomes a piece of metal and plastic in your wall. It's no longer a part of the electrical system so you can do whatever you want.

However, if you don't know where the source is and the wire is still energized, then you need to have the end in an accessible box.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 9:31AM
analogmusicman

ok,that answers it. it'll go into a box. yes,I don't have any idea where it comes from. I only know that it's a 20A circuit that once fed my refrig. and now I'll be running NM for the 20A circuit for refrig. only.

tnx,

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™