Floating wood floor- putting a heavy object on it

kitch1March 22, 2014

Hi,

This is my first time installing a click type wood floor (Mirage product). I will use a floormuffler product underlayment over mostly leveled cement (I plan to use a leveling product and no hardi backer so save weight- 2nd floor install). Need to remove tiles first.

I'm a newbie so thanks for your help in advance on my questions! I know that I need to leave 1.4" gap at all the walls to allow for expansion BUT, I have a heavy elliptical machine in this room (on a matt). I was also thinking of adding one of those inlay Medallions in the room- neither of which would move much. Will this make the floor buckle? What are my options? Someone at a floor store said to glue the planks around the machine- not sure that would make sense. I could cut out a boarder around the machine and fill it in with some type of rubber fill. Not ideal but at least this way, the floor could move. I might also have a lightweight table (50 lbs.) on the floor- what are the weight limits on the floor? Also, if the inlay doesn't move, would that be an issue? I think the instructions call to glue it down. It's about 3 feet across by 3 feet- medallion type.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sloyder

Its not the weight but the vibration of the machine that could loosen the joints, so the glue will keep it together.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™