Need advice--pub table

gcpommomAugust 12, 2009

I finished the tiling on the table top....but don't know what to do with the edge where the hardiboard and tiles rise above the black edging of the table. I was going to use white glass tiles, but decided against it.

Could I just grout that area when I grout the table? It is about 1/2" from the black edging to the tabletop, and about 3/16" deep. Is that too much area to cover with grout?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cathyscache

GCP: I think if it were me I would put another row of red...I think that might be too big a space to leave just grout...just my opinion......

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 3:39AM
katishooked

GCP, you can use another row of tiles, or you might consider painting the edge before you seal it. Whatever you decide, this will be a project to be proud of.

Kat

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 6:46AM
flagtruck

gcp- I think your idea of a row of black would be a nice finishing touch. I would be afraid of just grout in this space as I am afraid it would eventually get knocked off and broken. I would use tiles before grouting. I think just painting would not look finished. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 7:45AM
texaswild

I agree w/FLAG - another row of black tiles. Such a beautiful piece, and so precise!!

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 8:54AM
gcpommom

Thanks for the advice....I will have to experiment with the tiles....the problem I see is that the floor tiles I am using are too thick for the side/edges...the black plastic edging juts out about 1/8", and the floor tiles are much thicker. Plus, if I placed a floor tile piece on the side/edge--with the color side facing out--the top edge of the tile (which would be facing up) has no color on it. I know that sounds confusing...

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 3:52PM
texaswild

Oh, dear. I understand. Since you have such a beautful table top, you might not want to use any other tess other than your tile. Since I'm not a perfectionist, and use all kinds of tess, if I had your problem, I'd cut black half marbles in two, and put the cut side, which w/make a nice border and solve the problem.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 5:27PM
gcpommom

Thanks Slow...that's not a bad idea...I will definitely experiment with that idea...I don't have any in black, but can probably find them somewhere (any ideas where to buy those???)
I also remembered that I have some black ceramic 4x4 bathroom tiles that are slightly thinner than the floor tiles I used...they still are thicker the plastic trim, but not much.
thanks so much for your ideas, ladies, much appreciated!

Judy

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
Sponsored Products
P2974 George’s Reading Room 1-lt Table Lamp
LBC Lighting
Trim the tree placemats (set of 4)
Origin Crafts
Evolution Wasabi Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 9 In. Rug
$254.15 | Bellacor
Calligaris | Jersey Horizontal Dresser - Quick Ship
YLiving.com
Metal Four-Tier Basket Trolley
$39.99 | zulily