do windows in front have to match back..

sue_in_nova_scotiaJuly 22, 2011

I have a 1972 side split entry..with original sliders. One slider in the back has a rotted sill and has to be replaced NOW. We eventually want casement with georgian grill at top but am wondering can we get away with having the georgian style in front and plainer sliders or casement in back. We can't really afford new windows right now and may not be able to get them for sometime yet but for the one that must be replaced NOW.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

Not usually.

You will want to make sure that windows in a given room or next to each other do match.

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 7:34PM
sue_in_nova_scotia

Thanks that makes me feel a lot better.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 7:08AM
eastbay10

I have seen a lot of homes where the front windows have divided lites for the "curb appeal" and the remainder of the home has none. Or different types (casement versus sliders) to keep costs down. I agree with WOW in that you have to be careful with windows in the same room or next to each other. That is where it gets subjective.
I am glad that you are thinking ahead. That should alleviate any mistakes that you may later regret.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 10:57AM
sue_in_nova_scotia

I have decided to go with casement plain in the back and later casement with craftman grills in the front...the window is very wide (57-60 inches) so I think rather then replacing it with the 2 window style I will do a 3 window to break up the space. Thank you both for your assistance.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 7:15AM
More Discussions
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™