Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance

16cassieJuly 1, 2011

Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl window for the northeast: Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance by Mathews Brothers. Trying to decide if I want the Anderson 400 series or one of those mentioned above. Any comments or experiences from someone with knowledge of these windows would be quite helpful. We've been round and round in trying to decide which windows to get. Help us!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

You really are going to have to decide whether you want vinyl or wood before going any further. I don't really like any of your vinyl choices. Northeastern U.S. has a very large selection of vinyl windows. Some of the brands I like are Sunrise, Okna, Gorell and Soft-Lite.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 7:01PM
16cassie

We thought we wanted the wood interior Anderson 400 TW Series. We currently have wood interior windows. We thought maybe the vinyl windows would be more cost effective, but got quotes for the Lockheed Vinyl windows and 400 series (wood clad aluminum); and there was only about a $300 price difference. Many people I have talked to love their vinyl windows "no maintenance, etc", but once you do the initial staining, polying on the wood windows, there really isn't a lot of upkeep after that. I haven't seen many reviews on Lockheed windows, but the salesman in our area who has been in the business for 20-something years highly recommends them. Then again, Anderson has many reviews and good reviews of their service department should something go wrong. I really was hoping someone could say something constructive to clarify which would make the better window in the long run???? Thanks, Skydawggy for your reply.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 7:30PM
skydawggy

Sorry but with the lack of detailed information you are giving it difficult to give you much advice. Perhaps the Lockheed windows are overpriced and that's why the difference is only $300. Hard to say since you haven't even said how many windows you are considering. Andersen 400's are decent windows. Have you looked at any other brands like Marvin?

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 9:41PM
millworkman

just a note to clarify something, Andersen 400 series are a vinyl clad frame and a painted exterior on the sash if your using double hungs and in casements both the frame and sash are vinyl wrapped

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 12:31PM
16cassie

Thanks for the responses. Regardless of my desires for aesthetic reasons, if you were replacing 20 Peachtree double-hung windows in YOUR home, which would you choose? Anderson 400 TW Series, or Lockheed Nucon Vinyl windows? Please state your choice and why, if you would be so kind??!!

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 8:47AM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

If price is not a factor, the Andersen 400 is not a bad option at all and will certainly show better than the the Nucon window.

The brochure I looked at shows a very average, at best, new construction vinyl window.

If you can put Andersen 400's in there at the same time, do that window 10 out of 10 times (by comparison).

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 1:07PM
John_Stephens

We are leaning toward the Anderson 400 series - especially after finding many people unhappy with the 200 series....but the Certainteed BrynMawr III look very good too.... I too ask for any comments.... Thanks, John

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 11:16PM
doth

I have Lockheed vinyl windows. I have had them for a little over a year,(2 winters) I think they are terrible. They leak almost as much as our old wooden windows. These are my first vinyl windows, BUT I am glad we did not do our whole house. I will look for another company for my second floor. I tried to buy local.

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 3:51PM
mmarse1

Certainteed bryn mawr are garbage as well.

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 7:49PM
dghealy

my Lockheed windows have ICE FORMING ON THE INSIDE ON THE SEAMS. how much worse can this get.

Bookmark   February 20, 2015 at 7:53AM
millworkman

Might not be all the windows fault but then again it might be. But you have not given anywhere enough info if you would like an opinion on stopping the ice/condensation.

1 Like    Bookmark   February 20, 2015 at 10:02AM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

Edges of the windows are the weak point and especially so if there is a bunch of air leakage at the interface locations. That being said, Millworkman is correct about the issue is more likely the humidity level in the home. Do you know what it is?

1 Like    Bookmark   March 4, 2015 at 8:57AM
PRO
HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC

Good advice above. Better windows will be warmer, thereby reducing condensation, but the RH in the house is a huge factor. The best windows in the world can still get condensation under the right conditions.

Bookmark   March 4, 2015 at 12:20PM
dghealy

I dont care if it is 100% humidity. without the temp at freezing there is no ICE.

Bookmark   March 4, 2015 at 12:20PM
dghealy

I really dont care about condensation. I understand If I use the dryer I will probably get condensation. but ICE??? when it is windy outside smoke blows at 180 degrees when held next to the seams. is this normal?

Bookmark   March 4, 2015 at 12:26PM
PRO
HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC

Fair point on the ice dg, although there are other factors still that can contribute that are not necessarily the fault of the window. That being said, your additional information about what appears to be excessive air leakage is telling. If you truly have that much air leaking, that would explain the ice and certainly contribute to condensation as well. If that is the case, you either have a terrible window or a poor install. I'd probably contact the installer for them to take a look.

Bookmark   March 4, 2015 at 12:31PM
dghealy

thanks. I wont be holding my breath re: repair. He has, "installed thousands of windows".

Bookmark   March 4, 2015 at 1:28PM
millworkman

Famous last words......

Bookmark   March 4, 2015 at 2:00PM
quasiexpert

I had ice on my VinylMax DHs(installed October 2012) when it was very bitter cold(mostly negative temps for weeks) several months into having them. I would've never put in the VM, but all the windows in the house(except for one 1954 vintage Andersen double casement in the kitchen) were replaced less than a month before I bought the house-so not my choice on that.

I've been working in Andersen window service since 2001, and was disappointed to see the ice in my own house, but it was only during the most bitter days, and I never felt like they were radiating cold to any significant degree. Thermostat set at 68*, and in a t-shirt with no problem.

There simply is not enough information to say that the windows are defective. Installation being off a tiny bit-small adjustments I made myself took care of it this past winter-are a more likely issue. Smoke blowing straight into house at seams tends to be more of an installation issue, but not always. In addition, the glass spacer is more likely to transfer cold than the dead air space in the center of glass area.

Have you contacted your installer or dealer to see what they can do for you?

2 Likes    Bookmark   last Friday at 12:58PM
dghealy

my installer said he has installed thousands of windows over 20 years and never had a problem. what would my dealer be able to do about this? btw. thank you for the information and for taking the time to answer.

Bookmark   last Friday at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Full Replacement Questions, Resources?!? Woodwright vs. E-series?
We are in the midst of ordering full-frame replacements...
joeyjoey1
Remove window film immediately?
My contractor has been installing my new Anderson Woodwright...
keys
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™