Clad vs wood vs vinyl vs sashes

dawgtiredncJuly 18, 2011

Hi Everyone!!! New to this forum so I would like to thank y'all in advance for any replies to this. We are having our house painted and it's going to be $1700 to paint the windows. There are some pretty ugly aluminum storm windows in front of our wooden windows. We are taking those storm windows down since they weren't doing much to begin with. OK here is the dilema. We have 19 rather large windows to consider. My wife isn't sure she can live with windows that aren't wood. Does anyone regret replacing their wood windows with clad or vinyl ones, and/or sashes? Also, I know it limits my options on brands but I have a prepaid card from Home Depot with about $20k on it. I would obviously prefer to use that but I don't want to and then regret my decision. Thanks and I really look forward to hearing your opinions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

The jump from wood to wood clad is not terrible and will eliminate the painting necessity in the future.

Wood to fiberglass is also not a huge one and can look very classy and consistent with the architecture.

Wood to vinyl is going to be the most stark and especially considering the brands that HD sells.

I think you nee to figure on what you are comfortable with and go from there.

There are insulated storm glass windows, however, they are probably as aesthetically morphing as a wood clad window would be if not more.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
Which LoE coating ?
New construction. House located in Knoxville, Tennessee Front...
buildinse
Deciding between Grand Estates/Amcraft or Okna 500dx, advice?
Both are new construction. The Grand Estates is just...
happyallison
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™