Lift Doors

numbersjunkieMarch 31, 2010

I am getting ready to order new kitchen cabinets, and have asked for a lift up door on the cabinet over my sink. The cabinet will only be about 9 inches deep, 12 inches high and 36 inches wide. My kitchen designer told me it will cost an extra $800 for that cabinet, otherwise I can just order a regular cabinet of those dimension and just turn it on its side. Problem is, the door won't stay open when I lift it.

I think $800 extra is crazy for the special hingles to make the door stay open. What would you do? Is there a way to add that type of hinge ourselves?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

Before you go this route, think about how high this door will be from the floor when opened; it may be unusable by shorter members of the household.

The manufacturer's price probably has more to do with the fact that you're requesting something odd from people who are set up to produce the totally predictable. Custom requests from any high-production facility tend to get absurdly expensive. Their price no doubt makes sense for their business model, but that doesn't mean it makes sense for you.

Appropriate hinge / hardware varies a lot, from $200 for fancier hardware systems. There's nothing magical about this hardware; if you have basic tools and woodworking competency, you can install them yourselves. You'll want to get your hands on the installation instructions for the particular hinges you'll use before ordering your cabinets, so you can make sure the cabinet parts will relate properly; the doors can only overlap the face frame / cabinet front by so much. If your cabinets will have concealed hinges then you'll also want to specify that the door for this cabinet doesn't get mounted or bored for the cup hinges.

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 12:28PM
numbersjunkie

Thanks jon - The cabinet I am planning to do this with is just over the sink, and only 12 inches high, so it should be easily accessible. I have found some hinges online that I think will work, and I plan to see what IKEA uses on their cabinets of this type before I decide. My DH is very handy and should be able to install them. Good point about asking not to have any door hingles installed by the manfacturer.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 11:12AM
bobismyuncle

I may only have a vague idea of what you are trying to do, but another option may be to stay with the mfr. hinges so that they match from the outside and apply toy box supports.

Around my house we all range from 5'10" to 6'5" so reaching stuff at ceiling level has never been a problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: toy box lid supports

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Rejuvenating Bedroom Furniture Finish
My DH (he was a custom cabinet maker for many years)...
malna
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Damage on a Solid Walnut Table
I need to fix some damage from nail polish remover...
alaurenb
newbie veneer terminology question
My house has hollow slab doors veneered with luaun...
Fori is not pleased
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
bossyvossy
Sponsored Products
31 Inch Glossy White Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Cortina Lever Set - Privacy, Passage and Dummy
Signature Hardware
Ourpets Company Scratch It Cat Toy - 0860-7749
$30.99 | Hayneedle
Windhaven Dresser - BROWN
$3,199.00 | Horchow
Decorative Wreath Hanger
Grandin Road