Help please...must choose a window company this week

melissastarJuly 20, 2010

I need both new and replacement windows (custom size) for my kitchen remodel and my contractor says I have to pick the company this week to order them. He originally priced and recommended Jeld-wen, but I hated how they looked. Now he's recommending Pella. Can anyone point me in the direction of a few companies to investigate? I don't want to break the bank, but also am not looking to cheap out...a quality window at a price that doesn't make me stagger. I know, that's the holy grail, isn't it? In the past, I've bought Marvin and Kolby & Kolby was happy with both. This time, I'm not SURE that the rest of the house is up to the Marvin standard.

I'm looking for wood, double hung, rather large windows (roughly 72"X 30"), with alumninum or vinyl cladding. I'm located in Baltimore...a city rowhouse.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

I am guessing from your choices that were looking for wood specifically?

The Pella Architect series window is pretty good. Not quiet as good as the Marvin or Kolbe but still good.

Do you need wood? Interior wood?

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 5:51PM
riverspots

Hey, there. I'm up in Cecil Co., MD and also getting replacement windows and sliding doors. I had wanted Marvins but the quote for the windows and doors also was phenomenal. So I'll be going with the Anderson 400 Woodrights instead (30% less). I've searched around and have found few complaints about them. My contractor has built custom homes with them for several years and hasn't had complaints, either. Actually, my 20+ yr old Andersen windows don't leak either. At least with vinyl exterior, I also won't have to worry about the salt water warranty exclusion of Marvin (and Jen-Weld and probably other aluminum frame windows). I'm near the Bohemia River and the water is practically fresh-but when I emailed Marvin about the exclusion applying to my area, I didn't get a direct yes or no answer.

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 3:15PM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

While I do like wood windows, there are so many good composite windows on the market now that have all the same options as wood that it is tough to make that rationalization.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 7:39AM
dgmarie

We had Marvin and Anderson (400) quoted for our home. We have a large number of custom sized windows due to a small brick opening (no brick mold, bricked practically to the window) and it turned out the Andersons were actually MORE expensive than the Marvins. So we went with the Marvins instead.

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 11:35AM
willinak

Melissa, what exactly did you not like about the Jeld-Wen? Which version (quality) were you looking at, Custom? Reason I ask is there are four "quality" levels, which are really four different manufacturers that Jeld-Wen bought. The Custom is a Pozzi window, and supposedly their highest grade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeld-Wen

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Love my New Front Door, But It's Still Cold in Entryway
I have my new steel entry door installed with new sidelites....
sahmmy_gw
Marvin Ultimate double hung or casement
I am replacing some rotting windows and am installing...
salbwil
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
dfb_jlw
Okna vs. Simonton for bow window
Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insights with...
rirae
incorporating old leaded glass in new casement windows
We own a home with large leaded glass windows (21)...
prospect
Sponsored Products
King 200TC Flat Sheet - WHITE
$139.90 | Horchow
RION Furniture - Ascona Chest in Hand Rubbed Black - DRE120HB
Great Furniture Deal
Pera Opal Matte Bronze Three-Light Mini Pendant
$652.50 | Bellacor
Tonino Lamborghini Casa Rug Collection Art 2301
| Italy Design
ELK Lighting Menlow Park 60045-1 Pendant - 7W in. - Oiled Bronze - 60045-1
$222.00 | Hayneedle