Please help me identify my perfect window

rosie_bayJuly 17, 2010

Hello, I currently have single pane windows and am looking to upgrade to double pane. I'm in a very moderate climate -- the San Francisco Bay Area -- so it never gets too cold or extremely hot for long periods. However, where I live it does get warm in the summer, and I have a couple windows that get direct, pounding afternoon sun that heats up the house all night making it uncomfortable during warm patches.

I have no issues with my windows with the cold weather. My home is insulated well and it's small, plus I have many windows and it's very sunny, so I really don't have to run the heater that often.

I love my sunny home, so I'm worried about the new coated windows that will reduce that bright light.

Is there a way to upgrade to double pane windows so that the heat from the afternoon sun is more bearable, but yet I still get to enjoy the sunny home I love?

Advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

As you reduce the amount of heat gain, you naturally will reduce some of the light. The question is what is an acceptable balance of the two? Currently the Cardinal 366 glass offers a version that reduces the Solar Gain to a factor of .18. and a Visible light transmittance of 66%. This is an excellent number for your situation but the glass can appear a little dark. I would get out and visit a few window dealers who have showrooms and see if they can provide you with actual samples for your consideration. You may decide a greater heat gain is acceptable due to the increased amount of light to around 72%. For comparison a dual pane IG unit has a VT around 78%

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 3:24AM
More Discussions
Sliding Glass Door Brand Recommendations
Thank you for your help here a week or so ago, when...
Carrie B
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™