How do I connect Verizon NID to my phone line wires

malidadiFebruary 23, 2009

I bought a dual phone jack to connect my phone lines to but when I attach the phone wires to the new jack and then runs a phone cord from NID box to the newely installed jack does not work. I am wondering whether i need to connec the CAT 5 cables from the house directly to the NID box outside, but I do not see anywhere to attach the CAT 5 wires inside the NID box all I see there is a modular hook up. Verizon employee had said all i needed was to plug in the phone wire directly on the NID box but the wire is not long enough to reach my computer. THis is a dry loop line for my DSL I do not have any previous phone line intallations, but I do have jacks inside the house which are not connect to any type of phone service. the phone jack cable wires are hanging in the basement. SO in other words I am trying to figure out how to connect those hanging wires from the basement to the NID box installed by verizon a couple days ago.

THank you for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

If the NID box is the kind with jacks for the customer equipment, then your best bet is to run a phone line to your own jack next to the NID and then use a short jumper cable between the NID and your jack.

If the NID box is a multiline one like they use around here, there should be a customer side that opens with just a screw driver (rather than the thinwall socket used for the company equipment) that has screws that then connect to the little jumpers in the box.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 7:47AM
pjb999

I was very confused by the original message. If I understand correctly, it's basically a demarcation box outside? If so, the modular jack outside is just for a test hookup, it's not designed for consumer equipment (I think when connected it defeats the other connections)

More information is required. A line from the box to the computer??? DSL?? Are you trying to set up dsl, a phone line or what?

One thing I do know, it's common practice for digital phones (say the phone over cable comcast/roadrunner type of thing) to 'reverse feed' phone line to existing jacks - they ensure the phone line is disconnected at the conventional demarcation box, then a phone cable/RJ-11 is run from the cable modem to the nearest phone jack - it can be a double adapter - which then 'reverse feeds' the phone line to all other phone jacks connected to it.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 11:49AM
brickeyee

"If so, the modular jack outside is just for a test hookup, it's not designed for consumer equipment (I think when connected it defeats the other connections)"

Many of the NID boxes have a regular jack for hooking up to the screw terminal strip for premises wiring.

A short cable is plugged in and connected to the adjacent strip.
The premises wiring lands on the screw strip.

The TELCO responsibility ends at the jack.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 12:22PM
pjb999

I didn't know the modular was intended for use like that, the demarc boxes I've seen refer to it as a test jack - and the telus guy who replaced me told me about it. Could well be different here.

Same deal in Canada, telco responsibility ends at the demark box, I guess unless you engage the telco to wire the house.

I kind of like that, since it gives us more flexibility. When it was BCtel, a govt body, it was somewhat less flexible.

I wonder if the OP sorted it out. I hate that, when they never come back.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 3:56PM
brickeyee

:Same deal in Canada, telco responsibility ends at the demark box..."

In the US they must supply it to a jack or connection that provides the service.

By using a jack in the NID a butt set is easily connected to show that service is available.
How you hook up everything past that point is not the TELCO's problem.
They delivered service.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 9:25PM
More Discussions
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Disposer Power Cord
I recently bought a GE disposal online. The model is...
africanboy
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
panchoandlefty
Badly done multi-wire circuits (previous owner strikes again..)
I bought a 1940-ish house last year, for which the...
quahog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™